Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Feliz Cinco de Mayo!


In honor of the day, we enjoyed some nice Mexican take-out last night and then flew home-made kites for F.H.E.

In order to more fully inform myself of things I may have known in the past but since forgotten, I checked out the date on Wiki - and guess what? Most of us Americans are celebrating Cinco De Mayo for the wrong reason. Here I shall share with you a snippet of the real meaning of this infamous date...

Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "fifth of May") is a regional holiday in Mexico, primarily celebrated in the state of Puebla, with some limited recognition in other parts of Mexico. The holiday commemorates the Mexican army's unlikely defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of Mexican General Ignacio Zaragoza Seguín.

While outnumbered, the Mexicans defeated a much better-equipped French army that had known no defeat for almost 50 years. However, Cinco de Mayo is not "an obligatory federal holiday" in Mexico, but rather a holiday that can be observed voluntarily.

While Cinco de Mayo has limited significance nationwide in Mexico, the date is observed in the United States and other locations around the world as a celebration of Mexican heritage and pride. However, a common misconception in the United States is that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day, which actually is September 16 (dieciséis de septiembre in Spanish), the most important national patriotic holiday in Mexico.



Hey - I say, war and bloodshed or not, guacamole is ALWAYS welcome in my mouth!

4 comments:

Kako said...

So you celebrated cinco de mayo on quatro de mayo? That's fun. Let's celebrate diecidsis de septiembre in octobre, how's that? (Look at me being so funny!). I have a really good and easy salsa recipe, I'll have to send it to you. Good, and Easy! Love that combination.

Pure Golding said...

Thanks for the info. We went to a celebration here on dos de Mayo. They had a Mariachi band and some great food. As it was, we had already eaten so we settled for the famous Mexican snow cone! Enjoy your guac!

Siope L Kinikini said...

Your blog is not only entertaining, it is educational too. Wow! I'm impressed.
Oh and Greg, or someone posing as Greg left a message on our blog. Uh... ditto. lol.
Our best to you both and the kids.

Jennie Blaser said...

Happy Mother's Day! Hope it was a great one for you. Thanks for the cinco de mayo part. I had a GNO and went and saw 17 again. It was really cute.