Sunday, March 16, 2008

CRASHING A PRIMARY ACTIVITY



So - I am not a person whose history is completely void of ever having "crashed" a party I wasn't invited to (i.e. other High School's proms). However, I never thought I would have stooped to the level of crashing Church sponsored functions. Here's how it went down...

At approximately 10:17 am yesterday morning I happened to be walking by the calendar hanging near the kitchen ( I am pretty sure I was on my way to get some more sour patch kids) when I looked on there and saw written across the kid's section, "Primary Activity 10 am". So - I quickly encouraged (OK, yelled at) the kids to get dressed and run over to the church (we have a gate in the back yard that goes right into the Church parking lot). They were excited to go and in the haste of everyone getting dressed the older children looked over and couldn't see any cars at our church and then informed me that the activity was at the Stake Center. So - I thought - OK - now I have to actually drive them there and I haven't showered. Not only that, but I went to bed with a head of wet hair and it dried in the most hideous manner. I quickly explained that even though we were going to be nearly 1/2 hour late - I would hurry and take them, but because of my general appearance - they would have to run in by themselves and send someone back out to tell me when it was over.

We pull up to the Stake Center and sure enough there are a bunch of cars there - the kids run in and the oldest comes back out all happy and says, "pick us up at noon". So - I go on my way and take the little guy home and I actually fix my hair and put on a bra and make a few other adjustments to my appearance in preparation for picking them up. So then I return to the Stake Center and I arrive a few minutes early. When I go in to get the kids, they say to me, "Mom - that lady down there wants to talk to you". I thought it was weird - but that maybe someone from our new ward wants to meet me or something. On my way across the cultural hall, I start to notice that there are NO FACES I KNOW. When I get to the lady - I say hi and then it all starts falling together. Oh - the awkwardness! "So - where do you guys live? Oh - this is the CrestWood Ward - I think you are in the Woodruff 1st ward".

I was embarrassed enough as it was - and then on the way out of the church - we are again approached by another adult leader wanting to know who we are and admonishing my children because they are eating crumbly cookies in the hallway that was just vacuumed!

Well - all pride set aside - now I can add "crashing another ward's activity" to my repertoire of situations that only someone as unprepared as myself finds themselves in!

3 comments:

Liz said...

Viki,
Great story! Brought back many memories of trying do the whole "incognito chauffer" thing. I normally wouldn't advocate giving non-teenage kids a cell phone, but I have to admit, being able to call your kid and say "I'm here" without actually leaving the car is a pretty strong argument.
~ Liz

Kako said...

I think that any lady that commented to you that you were at the wrong party is not showing Christian values and should be publicly reprimanded.

Justin and Jill said...

I am laughing so hard! They should have welcomed your kids without any question, I think. Anyways, did you ever find our where your Primary activity was?!

This will be fun to check in with you guys!
Jill