I have been trying hard to develop a routine of working out and started going to the gym a few times a week for the past week now. (I know, don't fall of your computer chair.) I have been doing some weights and some jogging on the treadmill. I guess that one day I just jogged a little bit too hard or something (we're talking a whole 5.5 mph max pace that many of you use as a warm-up speed). My right big toe area began to hurt me a lot. I slowed down and was only able to barely walk for the rest of the time.
It was quite painful for the next few days and then I finally asked Greg to check it out. He, being the smart physical therapist that he is, concluded that I may have sesamoiditis (inflammation of the tendon running into the big toe due to irritation of the small sesamoid bones that are embedded in that tendon).
He sent me to a podiatrist the next day who conformed this diagnosis. He did an ultrasound and in fact could clearly see how one of my sesamoid bones is fractured into 2 pieces.

Here's what my treatment regimen includes: NO JOGGING for at least 3 weeks, a padded orthotic to decrease pressure to this area, and to take anti-inflammatory drugs. Well, being told by a medical professional that I can't go jogging was actually good news to me (and my pillow). It may not however be good news to my waistline. So, here's to tryin' to hit those weight machines more frequently.
7 comments:
I would love an excuse not to work out! I use the weather one a lot! Ken and I love to play tennis as it is exercise but I can fool my brain into thinking its just a game! But its been so dang cold here. Snowed almost every day last week! I do have a pain in my heel but can't afford a dr visit so I live with it.
Can't someone make a pill that truly gives you energy without all the side effects? Anyone got any ideas on a jump start to weight loss without giving up food?
I hope your foot feels better soon. I'll bet that treadmill is calling!!!!
I was hoping you had advice on how to get rid of cracked heels. That's crazy! And by the way, why haven't we talked for a while? Are you mad at me? I hope your foot feels better soon, and in the mean time I hope I can work out all the time to really make you jealous!
Sorry to hear about your foot! That sounds like it hurts. Thanks for the fun bbq the other day! Someday I am going to have a yard with actual grass and not just weeds, and we'll have your family over for a BBQ. See you soon (thanks for staying positive--it's something I've been really trying to focus on so it was good to hear that someone else is going to, too!)
Stationary bikes might do the trick. Sorry, pillow.
A
Really, you can have an ultrasound on your toe? I didn't know that. I hope you enjoy your rest and mend quickly! And, just for the record, I never run 5.5 mph on the treadmill. That's way too fast for me!
So I guess you can't hike at camp either right?!:D
I don't think i am going to camp any more.
One of these days I am going to get off my lazy butt and get back to the gym. I just haven't been motivated....imagine that? Since you can't work out, let's go out again. That was a lot of fun.
Post a Comment