Wednesday, June 4, 2008

UPDATES

Girl's Camp Coming Along...

So - I have basically been really busy trying to get ready for Girl's Camp Orientation night - where all of the girls and their parents come and we present the theme and their leaders to them. I was in charge of making the flag for our level. Our country is iLAND (i = integrity)and we are the "Integra-bee's of Honesty". I decided to do a little square on the flag for each of the girls in my level. I hand embroidered their name along with a little bee (I traced them from a brilliant friend of mine who can draw) for each one of them. This is what the squares looked like:

Then I put them all together and added a beehive in the middle of them. (There are 39 girls besides the adult leaders in our level).


Then I tried to put a cool blanket binding around the edge - but I had MAJOR problems getting it to work out and fit over the pole, also my bobbin winder is broken - basically, I could sum it up by saying that a few not-so-nice-words and lots of prayers were offered (all silently and to my sewing machine!)
This is how the final product looks (Note to self: The value integrity and the color purple are not the easiest things to work with as far as creativity for Camp goes. In the future - go with a differently colored value!)



I have such great assistants that I know it is going to be a fun year, but I do have to say that I was a little bit disappointed in the girls throwing a fit about who to "tent with". I decided that they were mature enough (this being their 3rd year at camp) to just do a random draw - so I put names under their chairs last night - however, before everyone left I already had several girls complaining, and even one parent call me today about it. So - I am back to trying to please all 28 little girls and not hurt any one's feelings. (Did I really miss out on that much by not attending girl's camp as a youth? Possibly - but I think I am getting my fair share of it now!)

Next topic... SCHOOL!

My kids still have the rest of this week and one more week until school is out. Basically - I LOVE IT! Everyone tells me, "Oh, that's too bad. I can't believe that they have to go that long." Well, we are having 8-10 weeks out instead of 12, and trust me, by the end of the 12 weeks, most parents are about ready to go crazy, and most kids have forgotten all that they learned. Truth be told, I am actually a proponent of the "year-round" schooling. I believe that kids would retain more and thus waste less time "re-learning" when school starts up again and be able to learn more and advance quicker, etc. (OK - so it's not just my humble opinion - it's actually proven in many studies). The school year as most people know it - was originally based on people having the summer off for the harvest, etc. Nowadays that is so irrelevant. OK - I am off of my soap box now.


Bubble Baths...hooray for them!

Here are a few cute pictures of Seth and Lane all bubbled up and clean for a few brief moments of the day (Lane was literally needing another one of these within 30 minutes of being dried off.) Gotta love boys!








9 comments:

Kako said...

Embroidery? Are you kidding me? What are you trying to prove? Is this mostly a stunt to make me feel inferoir? Come on lady! Start studying mediocrity, it's fabulous! As for school year round, I think it's great too. (Except that denies me the dream of spending 2.5 months in Alaska in a trailer to hide from the Arizona heat). Thanks for posting. I've been anxiously waiting.

Justin and Jill said...

You are seriously so creative--and dedicated to your calling. Camp is one of those callings that would be really hard for me, especially because mixed in with the fun were some pretty bad girl fights! Girls...girls...girls...

Now onto your comment about dirty boys: I think Bowen tops the list. He is the messiest kid! I change him after lunch, again in the afternoon, and then usually he walks around dirty until bathtime!

GrGrGr said...

Love the fotos of the bubble boys in the pink tub! Some place in the totally unorganized collection of our ancient pics there is a similar moment of history, captured in that very tub, of their mother and a sister or two enjoying just such fun!

Cecily said...

Wow, the quilt is gorgeous! I am very impressed. I didn't know you were a quilter/seamstress.

Anny Case said...

Your camp quilt is gorgeous. I confess that when I was a YW leader, I dreaded camp -- until I actually got there and then I loved it every time. Your girls are lucky to have you!

tam said...

I think the flag turned out awesome! I really can't believe how much work you put into it! You have great ideas and are very talented in making them come together! Good luck with pleasing the girls.....I can't believe how upset they get about their tenting arrangements!!

Pure Golding said...

Are you in the Stake YW? Our has had one meeting, one this Sunday and then maybe one more if we're lucky. I am ward camp director but blank as to ideas! Our YW Pres can't be there nights, and only one other leader has even volunteered. What do I do? I pretend I know what I'm doing. If no one gets hurt and everyone has some semblence of fun, we're good.

Jennie Blaser said...

You never went to girls camp? I went once before Argentina. Didn't you go after Arg? Remember our campamentos in Arg -- on that island? They were fun!

Plain Jane said...

You amaze me with what you can accomplish! Girls camp will end up being fine after all is said and done. There may be a few tiffs, but remember who is boss! As for the year round stuff. I loved it when my kids were in elementary school. However, when they get into Jr. High and mostly when they get into Highschool, having the longer summer is great for jobs.