Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Living the Everyday!



A while back, I got a subscription to a new magazine called, "Living the Everyday". It was wonderful. There are absolutely no advertisements at all in it. Funny thing is - I haven't yet received a second one. I am hoping that they didn't go under or anything. Although, for analogy's sake, and to make my segue, I sometimes feel like my "everyday" is going under too! I have to take the time to just reflect on the blessings that I have instead of on the negatives.

Many times I feel like I was totally jipped and I should be holding and nursing a little baby and not bloated and PMSing while so many people I know are bringing home new babies or are pregnant while I can't seem to be. So - although life throws me major curve balls, I am trying to make the best of my "everyday".

Lane is at the stage that I mostly LOVE. 2 years old and full of personality and starting to say some hilarious things. He is super clingy to me, and that gets annoying (like never being able to go to the bathroom without him following me in and saying, "I sit on mom and dad's shower and mommy go potty". Seriously - who ever thought of a bathroom door that doesn't lock?). But, for the most part, I love hanging out with him from sun up till sun down.

Lane asked me the other day after he jumped out of the tub if I would "make his hair spikey". He was too cute - I had to snap some shots...





One of the main things that Lane and I do together is READ. He has about 30 books that we go through on a daily basis. Most of them I have memorized, and even at that - he won't let me turn the pages at my own rate. It is the only way that we can even get that kid to calm down for more than 2.5 seconds. Today he was so exhausted, and I finally laid on the floor of his room with him and started reading. Fortunately (for me), the phone rang and I was able to escape with an, "I'll be right back Lane. Just read that book." Well, a few minutes later when I hung up the phone (and probably did 3 other things that distracted me before returning to his room) this is what I saw:



















And upon closer inspection...














Yup - he had fallen asleep with the book over his face - fingers still pinched between the pages! I took the book away and had to take one more shot of his peaceful slumbering face (it is a rare moment these days, you know the days of not wanting to nap any longer.)





Although I mostly feel under appreciated and overworked, I also feel extremely blessed to have my dear children. I hope to live up to the potential that is in me regarding parenting them!

6 comments:

Kako said...

I subscribed to that magazine too, (with your recommendation). I don't think it is a monthly one. I love the pictures of Lane. And I have to tell you, I am still not baby hungry which is why there are 9 months for me to "get use to this idea." I can't wait for you to join me and commisserate about why I feel so much better when I have completely stuffed my face and graze all day long to try to settle my fussy belly. And today when Gracie came up on my bed begging, in a loud scream, for me to get up and get her a bandaid doesn't help.

Pure Golding said...

I love your family. You are an awesome mother. Lane is really starting to look like a little boy instead of a toddler. I can't believe he's changed so much since the end of June!
I must say that PMSing is the worst of it! It kinda makes everything seem worse and more dark. Hang in there. I'm sure the Lord has some wonderful blessings for you to add to the 5 wonderful ones you've already got.
I think its cuz you just had a birthday! Those terrible things will do it to you every time!

Cecily said...

What a great post about enjoying the everyday moments; that's a good reminder. I've never lost a baby; I can't imagine how hard that would be. But I can commiserate a little about everybody being pregnant and bringing home babies when it's something I so desperately want and can't seem to obtain. It really stinks.

Lane is so cute; I love those pictures!

cskelton said...

Wow! Viki, he is beautiful, as I'm sure all your children are (I have seen pictures). He really looks like Greg, but of course you know that.

Anny Case said...

This was a great post -- what a cute kid! And what a wonderful mom!

Marilyn said...

Viki,
The story and those cute photos really take me back. Was is really that long ago that my little boys were falling asleep while reading? Actually, now that I think about it, it happens all the time. The difference is the books have changed from Dr. Seuss to Grapes of Wrath and I would have to wake up at 1:00am to take the picture. Keep enjoying these moments.