Saturday, August 2, 2008

"My House was Clean Last week..."

I have a friend who knows me all too well. One time she gave me a cute sign to hang up that says "My house was clean last week...Sorry you missed it".

I am really hoping that my unexpected visitor today read that sign. It really was clean last week. Here's the embarrassing part of this story...

This is not really MY house, and the visitor is a very clean person who was coming by to "borrow" some paintings off of the walls that belong to her parents. Yup - that is correct. It was my cousin who lives in another state. I had an idea that she would be coming by sometime as her other sister stopped in last week and told me so. I specifically told her to have her call me before she came. At least that way I could have a little bit of a "warning" and pick up some and sweep the floor. (It is amazing how fast things get thrown around and how messy a house becomes with a 2 year old living in it!)

So - here is where things go sour.... #1 - My spouse and the three oldest children - ones who actually help to clean - are all gone (Gymnastics and archery shoot with dad). #2 - "Breaking Dawn" came out at midnight last night and I am way absorbed in it (That was the craziest party ever at Barnes and Noble - so glad I went) and therefore Sadie and Lane pretty much have free reign on the house: the toys, couch cushions, games with a million pieces, and, Oh, the spaghettios from yesterday!) #3 - I have to run a quick errand to the store with the kids for a few groceries. Put that all together and what happens?

I return within 20 minutes of leaving to see my cousin already in the driveway. I don't know whether to keep driving by and act like I don't see her, or just pull in and hope she hasn't gone in yet. Alas, she had already gone in the house and taken the paintings off of the walls that she needed. So - I smile and say hello and act friendly. Upon walking into the house, my mortification is completed as I survey the state of the floors and counter tops and couches (what is left of them). It is almost too much for me to process. I think of the report that she will undoubtedly be giving to her parents (the actual homeowners). What to do? I pray that they will understand the situation or at least pretend to.

After all, I do have that disclaimer on the front doorstep!!!

I proceed to pick up one mess after another only to then realize that I should have taken a photo of it for this blog!

Well - it's back to the vampire and werewolf story for me. There will always be more messes to clean up later! =)

12 comments:

Pure Golding said...

I am such a dork! I pre-ordered that book on Amazon totally forgetting that I live in a small town and there is no way that its sold out already! Bummer. I even forgot it was coming and missed all the hoopla at the store (not sure Wal Mart did anything special!). Sorry about the messy house thing. Isn't that Murphy's Law? At least now you can sit back and not worry about visitors anymore! Did you finish the book? Thats all that matters! A good read and hopefully some yummy snacks!

Kako said...

I haven't gotten the book yet, it should be in the mail. Maybe Monday. Don't tell me how it ends. I'm starting to believe that Bella will end up with Jacob. What do you think of that? I sympathize with you and sorry that that happened. All I have to say is what a Jerk for not calling ahead of time. Ever heard of manners? Come on!

Rosalee said...

I can totally sympathize with you. A similar experience happened to me last week. Since then I have recommitted to at least keeping my main room clean so when people drop by it will at least seem like I have it all together. (Is that hypocritical?) Anyway, I am very jealous that you are already reading the book. How did you like it? I have heard mixed reviews.

Anny Case said...

I have to believe that said cousin has had a crazy day at least once in her life, too. :) Last night, I had a couple friends over who stayed till midnight. I was too tired to clean up last night and too tired to get up early this morning -- so when the maintenance guy knocked on my door this morning to fix my oven, I was still in my PJs and hadn't touched last night's mess. I confess that instead of answering the door, I locked myself in the bathroom and listened to him tinker on the oven. I emerged when I heard the door shut. He did find the one tiny free space on the counter to leave the repair slip. How embarrassing! Oh well, such is life.

Kako said...

Alrighty, it's time to put the book down and answer the freaking phone.

Terri Porter said...

I can completely relate. It seems like people show up at your door at the worst time. I had a friend stop by to see me last week, whe lives in D.C. She brought her mother in law along with her. Great Joy! I had about 5 loads of laundry in my living room, dishes on the counter and the sink full, not to mention I was watching my niece so I had toys all of the floor. Wow, for the most part my front room is usually clean, but not this day. Then to top it all off, she wanted a tour of the house. UUGGHH! And she needed to use my bathroom to turn her shirt around that she had inadvertently put on backward. I was mortified.

cskelton said...

I always, always, always, had those same feelings whenever you came to see me, and especially when you and Greg came to see me. My house REALLY was clean whenever you didn't come!
I'm really glad you guys grow up and understand old adults.
Gotta get the book as a surprise for Marné, however, she can't read it for at least another month. (p.s. don't tell her.

Jennie Blaser said...

I'm sure our cousins understand. They have little kids too. I had a friend whose house was so messy and her visiting teachers came by (unannounced). Unfortunately, she felt they would judge her and so she and her kids hid upstairs until they left. kinda funny.

Justin and Jill said...

What did you think of the book?! I loved it...in a different way. Twilight is still my favorite. Are you an Edward fan or a Jacob fan? (Don't say Jacob :))

Megan said...

I feel for you! It seems like that always happens on days I decide to not clean -- some unexpected person rings the doorbell. And of course, I would have to yell at my kids "don't answer the door" for them to not answer it, so that doesn't work either! How did you like the book? It wierded me out. I was reading alongside my 15 and 14 year old neice and nephew. it was different. ended well though! Was the barnes and Noble party fun here? I took my neice and her friend to one in Sandy. it was okay!!

Bryan Crew said...

Boo on Twilight. There I said it. I didn't like it. I don't want any hate mail because of those statements. Maybe I need to read on and catch the wave of obsession. Jill probably has an extra copy of book 2 that I can borrow.
About the house thing. Just don't furnish it. We had a full-size tent in our formal living area for months. People get the clue that your house is about kids right now and not to expect much when they round the corner and see play-doh everywhere.

Grama Sherri said...

Always leave the vacuum by the front door, and the caddy with cleaning supplies on the kitchen counter. Then you always look like you are going to clean, which is true, sometime. Your kids are llucky to have you for a mom. A messy house says that kids count more than visitors.