I just returned from a fabulous trip to Nauvoo with 6 of my sisters and my mother. (Pictured above - I avoided the lens by taking this one myself! HeHe) It was the first of (hopefully) many "Groberg Girl's Getaways". We all rendezvoused in St. Louis, Missouri to start out the trip.
We spent one night there and the next day took in some of the amazing sights (the famous ARCH, and Busch Stadium). We rode to the top of the arch in the little "pod" and got to look down from 630 feet in the air. I LOVE heights. It was way amazing. Then we got in our rental cars and drove to Nauvoo.
It was the perfect time of year for us to be there. There were hardly any other tourists around - so we pretty much had the missionaries all to ourselves at each of the stops. As one sister put it when we walked in through the door, "Oh my. It's not just the wind. There actually are PEOPLE in Nauvoo!"
It was actually my 4th trip there - but a bunch of my sisters hadn't experienced it at all - so it was extra special. Everyone loved seeing the sites and hearing the stories. We also went to Carthage Jail. That place sure has a special feeling.
We all enjoyed staying up late every night, talking, playing games, and eating! (Peanut M&M's have a permanent place on our family tree).
We stayed at Willard Richard's old house (turned B&B) and it was supremely beautiful. I shared a room with Emily - and it was just like old times! (Except that NOW we actually like each other!!)
On the way home, we stopped in Hannibal, Missouri - Mark Twain's boyhood home. It was neat.
I am so lucky to have such a great family. We really missed Jane and Bev and Liz - but hopefully they will make it to the next trip.
A giant shout out to my dear hubby who stayed home with the kids for 4 days (and to Tammy for the first day of watching kids) so that I was able to participate in this historic trip. I feel very blessed.
We took turns doing sessions at the Nauvoo temple - it was so amazing to have been there INSIDE of it and to feel of the Pioneer spirit and love that resides there. The celestial room was especially beautiful. (The first time in Nauvoo - we saw the small remains in the grassy area where the temple once stood. The second time there - they had announced that they would rebuild it. The third time there - we took our kids and walked through the Open House. And this time - I actually got to do a session! So cool!)
Thanks Mom and Dad for having such a great family (I know it gets said a lot, but I DO admire the dedication, endurance and stamina to have raised 11 children (9 of which are laden with female hormones and temperaments) - and for providing this opportunity for us to bond together! I loved the whole trip!
8 comments:
That is so neat. I think a sisters trip is a great idea. I'm glad you guys are going to make it a tradition.
You are a lucky girl. I feel like I am always saying that to you. You really are though. I'm glad you were able to experience such a spiritual experience with the people you love the most.
It's nice your mom was able to kick off her retirement with an awesome experience like that.
Count your blessings....You have many.
Well put and great photos. It was such a great trip. I'm already looking forward to the next one. How are your yoga stretches coming along?
Sounds like a lot of fun! I love Nauvoo especially during the off-peak season.
The trip sounds so wonderful! And your pictures are beautiful. That would be amazing to see Nauvoo in the fall.
Hi Viki,
Thanks so much for the fun phone call! It was fun to read about your trip and hopefully I can join in on the next one! It was crazy busy for me here in AZ but I thought about you all relaxing and was so envious!!! Happy Thanksgiving! Love Ya, BEV
Looks like you had fun. I would love to do something like that with my sisters. There is a wonderful couple from our ward who are serving a mission there, the Heins. I don't know if you met them, I do know that they are really enjoying it there. Happy Thanksgiving!
I had a great time on this trip and I hope we can keep up this fledgling tradition. Nice post, but you forgot to mention one ever reliable, omniscient, constant companion... We love you DORIS!
Post a Comment