Saturday, January 24, 2009

Apple of my Eye




On Monday we decided to attempt to make our own Caramel apples a la "Rocky Mountain Chocolate Company" ones. Here are a few pictures of the results. They turned out delicious, and oh so much cheaper than purchasing the real ones.


Apples $0.68/lb.
Caramel Wraps $0.99/5



I think that we spent less on all of the toppings, supplies, etc. for the whole batch than we would have just buying one of them at the store! The kids had a fun time, and we had the best FHE treat ever that night. You should definately give this simple project a try - we give it 5 stars!

13 comments:

Paula said...

What a great idea! Is the white stuff marshmallow? Did you melt the caramels or use the wrap? Do you think they come in "low fat"? (haha) Fun time!

Justin and Jill said...

One of my all-time favorite treats! My favorite is the Apple Pie Caramel apple. Great idea for FHE. I think we'll do that soon!

Christina said...

Hahaha! I read your blog at just the exactright time! I am starving!! I just was at the Rocky Mountain Candy Company yesterday and had an apple!! Yours look just as beautiful and tasty for sure! I also got away with a HUGE rice crispy treat!

Kako said...

Yum! I'll have to imitate!

cskelton said...

Well, Viki, you continue to amaze me. Watch out you might soon be termed perfect. I love those 'specialized' apples and I think if I had children (really young ones like you) I would for sure do them. Love ya!

Tasha said...

Oh looks so fun. thanks for the idea

tam said...

Oh they look so good! I might have to try them as well!

Tara said...

We make those a lot at our house too. We call them the "forbidden fruit"! Yours look amazing! I might have to go to the store now...
Tara

Marilyn said...

We've gotten lazy when it comes to FHE treats, it's usually ice cream. No preparation required.

Siope L Kinikini said...

cool treat! Makes us want to make those things.

Carene said...

nothing so cool here in Gillette, so I may have to give this a try. Thanks for the idea. Your apples looked amazing.

Bryan Crew said...

Those are awesome! There's a good chance that my boys would have just eaten the outer coating!

Alison said...

Mmmm, yummy! Just the other day, I was looking for a cinnamon candy apple recipe. I'm craving one even more now. Your kids are cute. I like the comment about being able to sin for another month! That made me crack up.