Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's Official!



Taylor's Crossing Public Charter School!!!

Today was the ribbon-cutting/dedication ceremony for our new school building. It was quite a feeling to have this 'dream' that a few of us had years ago be a reality. The building is beautiful and there are so many good things going on at that school and especially in my kid's lives, that I feel so blessed!



The kid who was chosen to do the actual cutting was a 3rd grader who won in a competition of 'paper, rock, scissors' that the entire student body participated in.

There were news crews and dignitaries and TONS of parents in attendance. The founders were recognized today and even though I was holding Lane (who had just conked out on my lap) I stood up for the applause. Although there have been some rough bumps in the road regarding the transition of our "ideal school" to the "actual-day-to-day-reality-of-it", overall I am very happy with what is going on in regards to my children.

All of my kids are learning more than I could have ever imagined. And since I was instrumental in this school being started, I feel like I have some lee-way to brag for a moment here. Bear with me.

Maelynn is in 5th grade and she is working on passing off her 'Famous 1'. This entails so many things that I can't even list them all. Regarding the Constitution (one of the main focuses of our school) they memorize the preamble and all of the articles and each of the Bill of Rights, and what each of the additional amendments are and the dates they were added to the Constitution. One of the tests you have to do is a list of all 50 states' abbreviations (i.e. "ND" for North Dakota). You then have to fill in what state that initial is for, it's Capitol, it's number in succession of joining the union, the nickname of the state, and the actual date of statehood. Also - she has already memorized and passed off the Gettysburg address and naming all of the countries and their capitols in North and South America from a blank map. Here are a few of her vocabulary words from this week: assiduous, impeccable, enigma, manifold. It's amazing what a young mind can learn when you just teach to the 'highest' expectation.

Landen is working on publishing his own book, has memorized a ton of character poems that make me so proud to hear him recite. He is also starting to pass off some other hard stuff. He is doing some algebra and has equally hard vocab words like Maelynn. They are learning more about Idaho than I will ever know!

Seth was doing basic geometry and reducing fractions when he was in 1st grade! He memorized the school's mission statement which is no small feat! All of my kids are learning a lot of Spanish (they teach it in every grade from Kindergarten through 8th). They also have a good music program with keyboards, choir, and they are starting a string orchestra soon; a cross-country and track/field team; and now that we have a full-size gym, they are going to start basketball and soccer soon. I am thinking that the only thing missing is for someone to start a 'Spelling Bee' which I may have to take upon myself this fall when we finish our house! =)

Seriously - I feel like I am bragging - and I don't want to be - I just want to document this day with some of my feelings of gratitude for the exceptional education that my children are getting. I know that there are wonderful Public Schools out there that are also doing amazing things - I just feel blessed that my kids are where they are now and I hope that they continue to love it as much as they do now!

If anyone is interested in learning more about what the "Harbor Method" is - you can read about it at our school's website here.

One more funny note to end this post on... As I was cleaning a few things up tonight after the kids went to bed, I found this note on the floor of the kid's bathroom. It had apparently been slid under the closed door earlier in an attempt to communicate with the current occupier of the porcelain throne. It cracked me up!

11 comments:

cskelton said...

Congratulations! I am proud of you. I NEVER would have had as much energy as you raising my children. (Or any mother now for that matter) I'm glad I am where I am and can marvel at the courage and strength and goodness of the next generations.

Jennie Blaser said...

i think you are entitled to brag. it's been a lot of work! Congrats.

Kako said...

I love that the ribbon cutting was "won" by a game of paper rock scizzors. Fabulous. The school sounds great, I am glad you are so pleased with its outcome. That's no small feat.

Paula said...

I know you've worked very hard to realize this dream. The kids are doing well in a great school, but you and Greg have had something to do with their success, too! Keep up the good work!!

Tasha said...

YEAH!!! congrats!

Siope L Kinikini said...

Ok, that's so impressive. I think we may move there just so Ileina could go to school. lol. Yeah, I wish.

Congratulations on everything! That's so awesome!

As for paper-rock-scissors... why can't we we all resolve our issues that way?

Wanlass Family said...

I'm looking into trying to get Kailey in for next year. We are looking at Taylor's Crossing, or homeschooling. We shall see! I couldn't find out on the website, is it a full day kindergarten or half?

Megan said...

OH! How wonderful! Thanks for taking pictures and posting them. I actually cried when I saw the kids. I'm so glad that you are happy with the school. I'm sad that my kids aren't there anymore, but am satisfied with the school they are in. The Harbor Method is definately a unique and wonderful method.

Cecily said...

Wow, that is so impressive. After reading Maelynn's list of what she is working on, I can definitely confirm that I'm not smarter than a 5th grader. How wonderful for you to see your dream come to fruition!

Bryan Crew said...

Why don't you just home school them? :)

Anny Case said...

Hurray! What a happy day for y'all! It's wonderful to have great educational options. (I wonder if Seth might be available to tutor me in geometry. I never could make sense of that stuff!)