I think that there is one question that I never get tired of hearing or asking people:
"If you could have ONE superpower, what would it be?"
I have heard many responses to this...everything from x-ray vision to flying to ability to heal. There are times in my life when all of these would be wonderful.... but I have decided that the superpower that I wish I had was the ability to look into someone's eyes and have them instantly know how I feel and why I do what I do.
Let me explain...to make this even more confusing....
If people could just look at someone and have a complete understanding of why they did what they did, or why they do what they do, or say what they say... I mean a total comprehension and even compassion for people.
With my children who often frustrate me with their lack of fulfilling all I ask them to do, if I could look into their eyes and feel instantly all that they have been feeling from school, about themselves, etc. etc. then I think I would be much more compassionate and loving in the way I respond to actions or inactions.
I would like to have others have the ability to look at me and see the same.
I honestly think that the world would be a better place if we were blessed with that superpower.
On my mission I had a particularly difficult companion. When I talked with my Mission President about the situation, I kept saying, "President, I just do not understand why she does this or that. I just do not understand her at all." He looked into my eyes and simply told me: "Sister Groberg, you don't have to understand her....you just have to love her!"
So I guess that is what I am trying to say here in a nutshell.... I think we all need to do a bit less analyzing and a bit more loving!
Which brings me to my knees in gratitude for my Savior Jesus Christ who not only DOES understand me and my motives and every thought and action I have, but LOVES me inspite of it.
5 comments:
Thank you for reminding me of this important gift. It truly is a gift to seek. I'm sure I was that companion. Hugs to you!
Mindy, Mindy... you were definitely NOT that companion.... (and I will of course NOT place a name on here, but just fyi, it was a native comp.!)
You were a great example and blessing in my life...thank you!
Every once in a while, I have a moment when I almost feel like I have that power, and it is wonderful! If only I could calm things down enough to access it all the time - or at least more often. I think this is charity in a nutshell! Thanks for uplifting me and reminding me to reach higher and to be better!!
Viki, We think your comments are great, just like you are! In the end the only judge that counts is the Savior, and the sooner we learn to leave things up to Him,and become more like Him, the better off we will all be. Thanks for your insights and expressing them so well.
Sure love you and all of yours!
Mom and Dad
This would be a wonderful gift at times but the scary thing about this super power is the very thing that makes it seem desirable. I mean, people would know how you feel and why we do what we do - all the time. Sometimes we fool ourselves about our motives and I think we would be surprised to know the true feelings and reasons behind some of our actions. But then again, it might keep us on our guard and may help us have more pure motives.
Now that I have rained on your parade, I'm sure you're wondering why I did that and what I was thinking. I'm not even sure why. Maybe it stemmed from a memory of some old show I saw once (could have been Twilight Zone) where someone could tell what others were really thinking and it didn't turn out too well for all involved.
Post a Comment