Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lessons from a 5 year old...Miles is 2....Happy 15th Anniversary!

  Greg's new job has him pretty busy and so any chance he has to have some 'free time" he really wants to make the most out of it. Several weeks ago, he had a thursday afternoon with a few hours off....and we decided to go on a "adventure obstacle course" of sorts. You see, he really wanted to take advantage of his time off to pack in as much adventure as possible. When the kids couldn't quite decide between playing frisbee golf (a staple activity in our family), going fishing somewhere, going on a hike, or having a campfire and roasting hotdogs for dinner...we decided to do them ALL!

    So began our first newly instated Bailey family tradition of the 'adventure obstacle course'. We went to the park with frisbee's and the goal was to play until someone was able to get PAR on any of the holes. This ended up taking more than the entire 9 rounds, but happened after about 3 do-overs from some of the kids. As soon as someone made par, then we all jumped in the car and drove to the Shelly fishing pond and everyone started baiting up their lines and then as soon as someone caught a fish, it was on to the next adventure. Well, after MANY unsuccessful casts, the extreme outhouse odor combined with annoying bugs and crying babies eating dirt made us relinquish on the 'first catch' part of the deal.

We packed up again and went to the nearest grocery store for hotdogs, buns, and marshmallows. We hurried up to a new canyon somewhere near Shelley. We then got out of the car and began a hike up to a cave that we had been told about and that looked like fun. It honestly didn't look like it was that steep of a hike...but after about 100 yards up the face of this 'hill', it was apparent that we should have prepared a bit more. You know, like maybe the three of us who jumped into the van in flip-flops or sandles would have donned better shoes...or any shoes at all in the case of poor, neglected, sixth kid, Miles. Needless to say, my super strong hunk of a man, greg, was actually carrying bothe Miles and Emerson up the hill a good portion of the way. We got to the cave and enjoyed the view for a while. (A "while" here means just long enough to snap a few pictures to prove we had done it).

  We started to head back down the trail and soon realized that it was going to be quite rough. It was hard enough coming up that steep slope in my keens, but going down, it was plain scary. Greg and the older kids mostly ran down it, and I was trying to hold Miles and at the same time balance Lane by holding his hand as we slowly descended. Lane was getting quite freaked out about it and was sure that he was going to tumble the rest of the way down.  In order to help him calm down and to buoy him up a bit, I looked him straight in the eyes while holding his hand firmly, and I said, "Lane. We. Can. Do. Hard. Things!" Just like that, really emphasizing the word 'hard'.

 Almost without pausing to think, he looked back at me, all serious, and he said,

 "Yup. We CAN do hard things.
Once.
And then NEVER do them again"!

 I instantly started to laugh, because, hey, lets face it, that kid is funny!

 But as we slowly made our way down the rest of the trail, I kept hearing those little words of wisdom from his little 5 year old mouth...and it started to make sense to me just how right he was. I am sure he was meaning that he NEVER wanted to have to descend that steep of a hill again...but in my mind, I was thinking of how we truly can learn from our mistakes, or even other's for that matter.

 I know that I am one to make the same mistakes over and over...and it is infuriating to myself when I do. I mean, I know better, yet I let my weaknesses get the best of me, and I fall. I want to learn from this feeling. I want to remind myself daily, or hourly if needed, that I need NOT repeat my mistakes.  I want to remember at every turn when I am feeling anxious or sad or depressed or guilty or frustrated that I CAN do hard things, and that although other may not think that what I do is necessarily "hard", it is to me...and I can do it. I can get through it.  And over the next 18 years, I can load another 17,000 loads of dishes, and I can fold another 23,000 loads of laundry. What I can't do, however, is get back time that I waste on indulgence, or self pity. Also...time I waste on Pinterest.  (DARN YOU PINTEREST!!!!!)

  So, there was one lesson I learned from my 5 year old. Now, if only I could be able to recall the many others.
  I am so lame about blogging lately. Mostly it is due to NO TIME because of, well, mothering 7 kiddos..but also I have been following a lot of blogs that are far more entertaining, educational, fun, and even inspiring than anything I could ever come up with. So, here is my gift to you... some links!

www.middle-agedmormonman.blogspot.com
www.bakeat350.blogspot.com
and one that I listen to a lot...
http://www.mormonchannel.org .... I especially listen to all of the "Conversations" and the "Enduring it Well" segments. There are some seriously uplifting/inspiring things on there.



Now, on to the next blog post (this is a 3 in one post, too lazy to actually publish three times).

MILES IVAN BAILEY...turned 2 years old on August 27th. He is so stinkin' cute and I love that kid to death. By way of tradition, here are the top 2 reasons..
 1. He LOVES to be with me...even after being "replaced" as baby much too soon..he always wants me to hold him whenever possible.
2. He is pure HAPPY all the time (unless he is screaming his head off for whatever reason) but most of the time PURE HAPPINESS!!!



On to Post #3... HAPPY 15th  ANNIVERSARY GREG! (AKA... "Happy 15th Birthday Bailey Family)

The last 15 years have been utterly AMAZING. I wish that I could write a poem or a song to explain to the world what a great Man/Father/Husband that Greg is. Truly.
    Greg and I mostly 'courted' by going to temple sessions together and writing each other while I was on my mission...so I always knew what a great testimony he has and it has been a wonderfully FIRM foundation to build our family upon. Since being married, we have lived in 8 different homes in 4 different states. I have spent a total of 234 weeks being pregnant, and Greg has put up with me through all 234 of them! He has changed countless diapers and lost countless hours of sleep.

  Besides having 7 children in the last 15 years, I have also...

Been privileged to finish nursing school (went from a CNA to an LPN to an RN)
Owned a small business ("The Scrapping Station"...haha, good times)
Started a wonderful Book Club that has been going strong for over 7 years (Ammon Classics)
Became a Victim Advocate for the Police Department;
helped to start a new Charter School;
Spent 6 years as a leader at Girl's Camp;
Made it through building a home;
 and fulfilled many Church callings...
all because of the SUPPORT and LOVE of that man.
I am truly a blessed soul. I LOVE YOU GREG!  I hope that the next 15 are even better!

3 comments:

Jennie Blaser said...

great post Viki. You do have a fun family and great husband. Hope to see you soon.

Ruth said...

You are doing great! Congrats on the 15 years. Your Miles is such a cute 2 year old and I mostly only see the pure happiness side. You are such a great example of just picking up and going and trying to make a good memory and experience for your kids and your family. I wish I had more of that in me. Thanks for being a great friend and neighbor.
Ruth

Anny Case said...

You are amazing, Viki! And I loved Lane's words of wisdom. . . . They perfectly describe dissertation writing (among other things). :)