

OK -So I don't really know what to tile this blog entry. I am mostly responding to a blog entry about two talks given at LDS General Conference recently (see www.sweetspirited.blogspot.com). I honestly don't think I had even heard the first talk - given by Julie Beck at last October's Conference (quilting retreat with my sisters - I must have been blabbing too loud). I did remember the recent talk given by brother Ballard only a few weeks ago (again was with the same sister listening to it at her house).
First off, I have to agree with my cousin that the talk by Ballard is much more "warm and fuzzy" for any mother to read. And after reading Sister Beck's talk for the first time - I could see how some people would be "offended" by it. Greg and I read it aloud together and the first thing that he said was, "That pretty much excludes all working mothers". President Ballard's talk specifically addresses the circumstances that single or working mothers face. So - there is that. As far as the content of the messages - I thought that both of them were right on. But, as I previously stated, I don't think that the Prophet would allow anything to be preached at Conference that was not in harmony with the teachings of the Church - or at least I think it would be difficult to try to pull that off.
One of my favorite parts of sister Beck's talk is:
"Mother's who know do less. They permit less of what will not bear good fruit eternally. They allow less media in their homes, less distraction, less activity that draws their children away from the home. Mothers who know are willing to live on less and consume less of the world's goods in order to spend more time with their children - more time eating together, more time working together, more time reading together, more time talking, laughing, singing, and exemplifying. These mothers choose carefully and do not try to choose it all."(Honest reflection: Do I just like that it justifies "doing less" and apply that statement too broadly in my daily affairs? Probably. But it really does make sense. We all need to "calm down" a bit in our hectic lives.)
One of my favorite parts of Elder Ballard's talk is:
"There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children. The choice is different and unique for each mother and each family...What matters is that a mother loves her children deeply and, in keeping with the devotion she has for God and her husband, prioritizes them above all else."(Honest reflection: I do think that the love I have for my children is deep indeed. However, not so sure how I am doing on the "prioritizing above all else" part of that statement when all I can think about some days is "when is it going to be "ME" time?)
Both talks have great points, but the "undertones" are definitely different. Was talk B given as a "calming down effect" to counter talk A? Not sure. I guess that I can draw two conclusions from this entire thing.
One - I think that people who chose to can be offended by anything and I don't believe that anything that was said by Sister Beck was said to offend people, but rather to remind us all (myself largely included) to stay on the right track and focus on eternal purposes.
The second conclusion I drew was more of an observation. Isn't it ironic that the talk that supposedly "fired people up" was given by a woman and the one that "embraced and encouraged" given by a man? What does that say about us as mothers and as women?
Also - one more thought I have on the matter is: Should I go away from every talk feeling really good about myself and all warm and fuzzy? I do like it better - honestly I do. I just am trying to decide if everyone who listened to Jesus as he taught them felt all happy about themselves. And - if that is the case, then what would spur us on to action? What would it take to make us change bad habits? I honestly wish I had an answer to that one - because even though I read both talks on motherhood and feel like I have a basic grasp on the gospel - I KNOW that I have many changes that I need to make in my life - especially in my mothering and homemaking skills, yet I am reluctant or lazy or whatever.
So - take of that what you will - those are my wandering thoughts. Thanks to both Sister Beck and Brother Ballard for inspired talks and to Carol for bringing this up and making me read and study them! (That totally counts for my scriptures for the day, right?) =)
7 comments:
Hey, I loved both of those talks. Never thought about them no complementing each other well.
In gospel doctrine a few weeks ago our teacher was talking about conference and how sometimes there is so much to do that he thinks, "Living this gospel is KILLING me", and then he followed up with the thought that it was killing him -- killing the natural man in him. I loved that thought --it is uncomfortable (as in NOT what we would define as comfortable and easy) to truly live the gospel.
My favorite from Elder Ballard's talk was the "JOY COMES IN MOMENTS".
Okay Viki, I'm working on something. I have to tell you I personally wasn't that offended by Sister Becks talk, I just thought that it could be offensive to a lot of people (mostly in the Young family).
I can't remember who said it this last conference but essentially he said... If we don't make time for ourselves we won't have anything left to give our families. So, no I don't think you're being selfish when you say you need "me" time. You're just replenishing and renewing so you can keep being the wonderful mother and wife you are. I'm sure Greg would agree. I think you're awesome and wish to emulate you a bit more. Especially the meet and be kind to other people part. I'm a hermit and haven't made a good friend since I met you. No one measures up! ;)
I reread both those talks as well. I actually liked them both. I especially liked the part about making sure as a mom that you are not so busy with other things that you forget and don't focus on what the most important thing is - your family. I believe they both made that point. Loved Jennie's comments and agree with what she had to say. Kudos to you and Carol for bringing those talks to my attention.
Thanks for this blog entry. I read it two days ago (along with Carol's) and thought they were both very well written and thoughtful. I have been thinking about my response ever since.
After reading your post, I re-read Sister Beck's talk. It does not offend me, but I must admit that it made me emotional when I heard it for the first time and re-read it. That is because it points out to me several things that I need to do differently and better as a mother. I think it has had a similar effect on many women of the church. But I honestly believe that Sister Beck delivered this talk with the spirit of love. She wanted to nudge us to try harder and do better, and I am thankful for a Relief Society president who has the guts to speak out with such boldness when it is needed in our age of declining values and lessening emphasis on the importance of motherhood.
Second - was this talk warm and fuzzy? For me, not so much. I do agree with Carol that the Savior taught with compassion, but there are many times recorded when He reproved his people with sharpness. There are many sections in the Doctrine and Covenenants with instruction that are anything BUT warm and fuzzy. I get the same feeling from many of Joseph Smith's and Brigham Young's discourses. Sometimes it is what we need to hear, though.
Third - do I think Elder Ballard's talk was an apology or an attempt to smooth things over? No. Sister Beck's talk was based on sound doctrine, and nothing was said that we haven't heard before at. Therefore, no apology is needed. His talk was much more warm and fuzzy, however.
So that is my take on this issue. Thanks again to you and Carol for making me really ponder and think this issue through.
On a lighter note - thanks for the definition of "minister plenipotentiary." But how in the world do you pronounce it? I absolutely love it for a blog title! :-)
This is getting old. Put up a new post already!
Viki you need to update. Dude I need something cute from your kids. I keep checking and there's nothing new. Don't you know that I live my days to see the sweet things that are said and done by your kids?
Post a Comment