
I used to think it was funny that cars park in driveways and drive on Parkways. Or how about the fact that cars have shipments and ships have cargo?
There is an Alanis Morisette song called "Ironic" that I love.
An old man turned ninety-eight
He won the lottery and died the next day
It's a black fly in your Chardonnay
It's a death row pardon two minutes too late
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures
Mr. Play It Safe was afraid to fly
He packed his suitcase and kissed his kids goodbye
He waited his whole darn life to take that flight
And as the plane crashed down he thought
"Well isn't this nice..."
And isn't it ironic... don't you think
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures
Well life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
When you think everything's okay and everything's going right
And life has a funny way of helping you out when
You think everything's gone wrong and everything blows up
In your face
A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic...don't you think
A little too ironic...and, yeah, I really do think...
It's like rain on your wedding day
It's a free ride when you've already paid
It's the good advice that you just didn't take
Who would've thought... it figures
Life has a funny way of sneaking up on you
Life has a funny, funny way of helping you out
Helping you out
OK, so my apologies to Alanis for changing a certain word to keep this blog rated PG! But seriously, some things are just plain ironic. I started thinking about the little ironies in my life and thought that I would list a few.
* Somedays all I feel like I have accomplished is to yell at my kids. The craziest thing ever is when I am yelling at them to stop yelling. I really do have to get loud for them to hear me over thier own elevated voices. IRONIC. (OK, maybe 'hippocritical' is a better word - but for arguments sake...)
* Every time that I go to the gym to work out, I am always looking for the closest parking spot. I get super-ooper excited if I can get the spot right next to the building. I mean, why would I want to actually walk an extra hundred feet when I am about to go inside to walk on a treadmill and exercise! Duh! IRONIC.

* Political ironies. Need I say more?


I do have a couple of quotes about this mess of a topic...
Politicians and diapers have one thing in common.
They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.
Light travels faster than sound...is that why some people appear bright until you hear them speak?
If con is the opposite of pro, what's the opposite of progress?
* One thing that I am well-known for is my love of diet coke. (Which, BTW, I am happy to report I haven't had a sip of in over a week now.) One ironic thing that I know that I do all of the time is to order a DIET drink with my fattening meal. You know what I mean, "Yes, I will have the greasy appetizers, a fattening chicken sandwich and a DIET coke, please." IRONIC.

* How about my sleep habits? I am such a night-owl that I honestly could count the number of days in my adult life on one hand where I have been asleep before midnight! What's ironic about this you ask? Well, the irony for me comes in the fact that people (i.e. my mother, husband, etc.) are always telling me about the commandment, "EARLY to bed, EARLY to rise". So - technically, I am going to bed "EARLY" (in the morning). IRONIC.

* I am almost certain that there are dozens more examples of irony in my everyday life. But, this post is getting a little bit long. So, please, feel free to leave a comment about some of your everyday 'ironies'. I would love to hear them.
* One last item to ponder on:
If vegetarians eat vegetables, what do humanitarians eat?
5 comments:
Love that Alanis song, it's always been one of my favorites. I will share an irony that I am still trying to come to terms with.....How do you work and build a school for three years. Determine who was responsible for that and then later add people to that list after the school has been started? I find it ironic that people who were named as founders were put there long after the place was established.
Just one of my more recent ironies.
I love irony! I once heard a great talk at stake conference explaining why some people stay single forever. The reason? Irony!
First, if you love diet Coke, why are you giving it up!? You are much stronger than me.
Bowen scratched my face today (and does it constantly to everyone because he thinks he is giving loves, so I grabbed his hand and smacked it (lightly, I swear) and told him to be soft. Wow, I am such a good mom.
That is a great post. Here is what comes to mind from my day - I'm not sure if it's ironic, but it is definitely hypocritical. This morning, my kids wanted to eat brownies for breakfast. I told them they had to have something nutritious and made them eat oatmeal. Then, guess what I ate for breakfast (when they weren't looking)? A brownie (okay, maybe two). Because I think oatmeal is kindof gross. Another great mom here. :-)
I had to listen to that song to figure out if I knew it, and yes I did, but I didn't realize what great lyrics it had. I love the irony of yelling at my kids to tell them to be quiet. Or how about even though I am a very relaxed (read: lazy) mom, my kids are productive and responsible. That one I'm grateful for.
Post a Comment