Wednesday, October 8, 2008

FALLing for you...

My first taste of Fall captured a few weeks ago out my back window...I just looked out and there it was, that FIRST little leaf. I ran to get my camera to remember the excitement I felt upon seeing it. Love at first leaf! =)

I know this is going to sound super-cheesy, but I am Falling for Fall.
I LOVE this season. It is undoubtedly my favorite time of the year. I am trying to decide what it is about the season that has me so smitten.

Here are ones I can readily articulate off the top of my head: The climate and temperature, the colors, the smells, the anticipation of the Holidays.

But I think that it may have a deeper vein to it. I think that there is something intangible about the Fall that has me so giddy. You know how as children, the anticipation of Christmas is almost greater than the actual event? It's like there is this hyped-up energy in me when the air gets a chill to it. Like something marvelous is coming.

I am already anxious for Halloween to be over, so I can start playing my Christmas CD's. Seriously, it is all I can do to make myself wait until that Holiday is over. (Admittedly, I have failed in the past and put on Christmas music before Halloween.)

Is there anything that smells better than the festive smells of the Fall? Pumpkin. Ginger. Nutmeg. Pumpkin. Apples. Spice. And, did I say, PUMPKIN?

It is the only time of the year where I actually burn my collection of candles (most of them spice or pumpkin smelling ones). It is the time of the year where all of the infamous Pampered Chef trinkets get to see the light of day and the inside of my dishwasher. And my recipe books get to be loved once again.

There is almost nothing as beautiful as a drive in the mountains when the leaves are changing. The falling leaves are amazing to me. (This may have something to do with the movie, "The Last Leaf" which I watched repeatedly as a child and which I simply adore.) I LOVE to take pictures of kids in the leaves. I have carried on the "Falling Party" tradition of my own youth with my children. The kids love to rake up the piles of leaves and then just jump in them or be thrown in them or just go wild with them.

How silently they tumble down
And come to rest upon the ground
To lay a carpet, rich and rare,
Beneath the trees without a care,
Content to sleep, their work well done,
Colors gleaming in the sun.
At other times, they wildly fly
Until they nearly reach the sky.
Twisting, turning through the air
Till all the trees stand stark and bare.
Exhausted, drop to earth below
To wait, like children, for the snow.


One of the traditions that we have been doing for quite a few years now is to carve pumpkins before Halloween. We get together with friends (In Wyoming, it was the Weinands, and here in Idaho it is the Olsons) and all of the kids actually do the work themselves and we light them with candles and put them on the porch. So fun.

Another tradition that we started is a gratitude chain. It sort of spun off of the "waiting for Christmas" paper-chains that we all make. I decided to go and die-cut a bunch of cute leafs in different colors of card-stock. Then we have each of the kids say something that they are thankful for, and we write it on the paper and then string them all up like garland. It is super cute. Plus, we are reminded as a family how grateful we are for everything from the gospel to our teddy bears. It is a fun precursor to Thanksgiving.

So, back to the first inquiry... Why do I love the Fall so much?
Analytically, when you think of the seasons and what they may represent, one would associate Spring as the time of renewal and new beginnings. So, does that put Fall with the time of "approximating death" and the "end of the cycle of things"? Interesting thought. Maybe that makes sense for me because I like OLD people. I really do. I guess that I always have. Which, now looking at it from my own increasing age, is a wise habit to have, since I will soon be one of them! =)

I really could go on and on about the Fall. I only wish that I were eloquent enough to do justice to how much I LOVE this season. So, sit back, relax, and enjoy that little chill in the air, before it gets to be a chill in the bones. And don't be surprised if I show up with some pumpkin chocolate-chip cookies at your door! (Or I may just show up asking for a few eggs to borrow! HeHe!)





Happy Fall Y'all!

12 comments:

Julie Ann said...

I am so-ooo excited about your blog! I am with you on the music thing. Last year, before my husband knew how to sync his own i-pod, I put only Christmas music on both of our the day after Halloween. I LOVED it!
ps I ALSO love pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, and my address is...

Kako said...

Okay, that in so many words is why I am struggling with Tucson right now. Although did I mention that it got down to 58 (for a low) the other night. That's welcomed news. I guess I need to take some trips to see fall, because I love it too, and I think I would put it equally favorite to Spring. And that's why the next assignment we put in for will have the explicit instructions that it have 4 seasons. For Crying Out Loud!

Cecily said...

I think you summed up very well what I love about fall, also. I love the smell of pumpkin . . . mmmmm. To be honest, I never stop listening to Christmas music. My CD of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir with Sissel has been in my van's CD player since last November. I can't get enough of it! Also, have you heard the MoTab's arrangement of Oh Holy Night? It is the most beautiful I've ever heard. Here is the YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOkgPhpbQr8

Pure Golding said...

Finally, someone who feels as I do about Autumn! Now that's intelligence! If you show up on my door step I think I would faint! But I would love to see you again. Ken was just mentioning the other day about what you and Greg did for us on our anniversary and he said, "I think that was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for us." My sentiments too. You two are wonderful friends. I wish I could lend you some eggs and tell Lane I wish I had some yellow ice cream too- though I much prefer green with brown chunks! Love you tons.

Jennie said...

Another thing we have in common! I simply love fall. I love it when I am in shape and can run through the hills with a slight nip in the air. I think Fall is a time of renewal for me because school starts again and I always think of how this year is going to be different and better. Then I go on making the same mistakes again.

Marilyn said...

To celebrate Fall arriving I PLANTED my two garden boxes yesterday. It's finally cooled down enough that the little seedlings won't just fry the minute they poke their heads above the ground. It will still be a couple of months before the leaves start to fall of the trees in my back yard. Oh, and knowing how I too love pumpkin, Paul made me pumpkin muffins for breakfast yesterday!

Sandi said...

Ummm, I'm still waiting for my cookies!! I have enjoyed reading your blog. I too, can't believe how big your kids have gotten. None of them were even in school yet when we left Gillette. Oh, and you only had 3. :)

Rosalee said...

Funny that you mentioned the "falling" party. I was just thinking I should have one of those with my kids. What fun memories! I am not playing Christmas music - but my kids are. :)

Anny Case said...

Loved your post. Autumn is Michigan's glory -- it's the gift we get before the long, dreary winter. The colors, smell and crispness - it's my favorite time of the year here.

Carene said...

So can you come and do pumpkins this year? We haven't done that for a while as we don't have anyone to do it with. Oh, and could you bring the cookies. :)

Kako said...

Have you checked the date of that last post. It was like almost two weeks ago. Get with it girl!

Grama Sherri said...

I just found your blog. Actually, I just remembered my password. I, too, adore fall. The law of the harvest plays to my heart. As well, fall meant "spud harvest", which led to a few romances that an old lady like me can look back on and smile. (How romantic can you get with dust a quarter inch thick all over you.) But the smell of a potato cellar and diesal fumes mean a whole lot more than farm to this Idaho spud.