
Every year I get the privilege of performing a "self-evaluation" for my job at the hospital. This is a multiple paged survey with lots of areas where I have to rate myself on a scale of 1-5 (one being the best). There are items to answer such as: "integrity: open, honest, appropriate in all communication; manages conflict appropriately - takes issues to right address and does not discuss along the way; follows through on all commitments; speaks up, shares ideas and concerns, supports decisions once made."
It is actually quite a lot to think about - and, funny thing for me, I don't really work all that much at the hospital (only 1-3 times per month) and therefore I don't have a lot to draw on when considering my answers. It is even funnier when I go in for the review with my boss - and she basically looks at me like, "So... I never ever see you, but people tell me you still work here. How do you like it?"
I was thinking about my personal "self-evaluation" in my life, and since my main, full-time job is here at home - I thought I would ask those who live here with me for an "evaluation" of sorts. I asked my cohabitants some questions to see how well they know mom. Here, the truth revealed...
Question #1: What is mom's favorite food?
Greg: steak
Maelynn: Mexican
Landen: lasagna
Seth: 'spicy stuff'
Sadie: (pleaded the 5th and did not answer any questions at all)
Lane: candy
Question #2: What does mom do during the day when you are gone?
Greg: dishes, reads
Maelynn: watch Lane, and get on computer
Landen: play with Lane, clean up, wait around
Seth: help with Lane, clean, and change Lane's diapers
Lane: stay here with me, go get in shower, pick up toys, make my train cake (he's a bit excited for his upcoming birthday)
Question #3: What is Mom's favorite thing to do?
Greg: go to a movie
Maelynn: do stuff with her friends or with dad
Landen: go on trips with her siblings/cousins
Seth: play games with everybody
Lane: stay home with me
Then I asked each of them what THEIR favorite thing to do with me is...
Greg: watch episodes of "Psych"
Maelynn: play games or go on outings
Landen: play games
Seth: play games
Lane: stay home with mommy
Overall impressions I gathered from this insightful evaluation:
#1) My kids do see me clean and realize that I do it - I was impressed
#2) Although I do spend too much time on the computer and apparently 'waiting around' (that one made me laugh), I also must spend enough time with the kids just 'playing games' as that is by far the 'favorite' according to majority rule.
#3) I am thinking that to have only had 1 child report 'candy' as my favorite food was really lucky for me!!!
11 comments:
You have the best little family! How lucky you are indeed!
I don't think I dare ask those questions. I need to kick it into gear first and feel somewhat productive before I'll let my kids evaluate my performance.
That was so sweet. You are a great mom for your kids to know that you like to play games with them. I'm sure my kids would say that I like to yell at them or make them clean! Thanks for being such a wonderful example for me.
That is the cutest post I have ever seen! What an adorable (and grateful) family. It seems that they know what a treasure you are!
I loved this post! You are such a great mom! I have a lot to learn from you! Your kids are the best as well, in fact I need to have them come play again!
What a great idea! And glad to hear that you made it safely on your outbound and return trip.
ps I hated those evaluations. That is definately one part of working I do not miss.
My favorite job evaluation was after teaching at a school for three years -- finally, the principal did a formal job evaluation. I filled out all this paperwork and in his comments he wrote, "She is happy." A bit surprised, I asked, "But can I teach?" "Oh yeah," he replied, and then added to his comments, "And she's a good teacher." I like your evaluation system much better.
What a great idea to have your family evaluate you. It is so cute what kids say sometimes, and it can be very insightful. I get a bit of an evaluation when I hear McKinley playing with her dolls. The other day she said to them "I am so proud of you". That made me feel good, better than when she told them "I am so fustated!" You have great kids. I've always been amazed at how well-behaved they are.
I loved this post! So creative. I think I would be afraid of what my kids answers would be. :-)
Just makes me miss you more! Caryssa will be close enough for you to be her second mom- are you up for it? I told her to call you if she needed something- is that alright? I knew it would be! You're awesome!
Thanks for the smiles (and outright chuckles) this post gave me. I am always so glad when my annual job evaluation is in the past. Thanks for showing me how to turn something that is not my favorite experience into something more meaningful.
Post a Comment