Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Birthday Landen!



Landen turned 10 today! We discussed how it is likely that he will remain in the "double digit" age for the remainder of his life. In honor of his big day, I shall stick to tradition and list 10 reasons why I love that boy...

1. Landen is one of the most honest people I know.

2. Landen is more than happy to share whatever he has with others. He is often looking for ways to impart of his "stuff" with his siblings and friends.

3. Landen notices things about people. For Christmas he wrapped up a book that was given to him by his teacher and gave it to me because "I knew you loved to read, Mom".

4. Landen is generally a very responsible child and he will babysit for me in a pinch and will even act happy to do it.

5. Landen loves that I am with him in scouts, even though I am sure that he knows that I don't love doing that calling very much. Just having him there makes it worth the time. (AAAAAAHHHHH.....What do I do now that he is in Webelos?)

6. Speaking of scouts... here is another reason I love Landen. After recieveing his bobcat and wolf awards, he asked me several times when I was going to sew those badges onto his shirt. As a busy mom sometimes does - I kept putting it off. He never got mad at me or frustrated with me. One day I walked into his room, and he was just sitting on his bed with a needle and thread in hand and sewing those badges on himself. Big stitches and bright red thread - I didn't dare to take it off. What initiative.

7. Landen always comes home from school, RUNS home from the bus stop and does his homework. Often times I will have to go and ask him in the study room if he wants a snack or something - because he literally doesn't even stop for one.

8. Landen is always encouraging and complimenting. "You look so pretty, Mom". For no reason at all. It always makes my day.

9. Landen has a strong testimony. He asked for his 8th birthday to have a cake of President Hinckley. He knows the scripture stories and he will often be the one to read the Bible out loud to the family at 6:30 in the morning, while the others are wrapped in a lump on the floor or by the fireplace. He always reminds me of the fact that God has a greater plan in view than we do - when I think of how he came to our family completely 'unsolicited'.

10. I LOVE that Landen will always follow through with me when I 'dare' him to do something. (Even if it is during his Sacrament meeting talk!) It has been great fun for me to have a spunky and outgoing child and I have had many a good laugh as a result. Thanks buddy. I love you.

Landen had a rockin' Birthday/New Year's Eve Party last night. Some of his friends were here until 12:30 am. He was a great host and made all of his friends feel welcome.

Here are some pictures of the cake that I made for him. He asked for something BYU Football-ish. So, I attempted to recreate the BYU stadium.




The 'people' in the stands are NERDS candy - and when I told Landen that, he said, "Well, I guess we can't eat them or we would be cannibals because "A person's a person, no matter how small!"

May all of us have a beautiful New Year, full of goals (broken or kept), full of memories, hopefully full of increased stock prices, and mostly full of love.

11 comments:

Kako said...

I love the cake! I am already planning on you making a cake for Rachel on the 8th. Come up with good ideas! Happy late birthday to Landen. We love that kid too, and my girls are already big into plans for you visit. I'm giddy about it!

Terri Porter said...

What an awesome cake. Landon tried to explain it to me, but being the unimaginable mom that I am....He thought is was great fun. You are the most creative person I know.

Marilyn said...

What a wonderful mom you are! I love your tradition of listing things you love about those you love. My kids are lucky if I remember to make a cake on their birthday let alone actually decorate one.

Lori said...

Wow! What a great cake! McKinley only wanted strawberries on her cake, so not much creativity required there. You are really good at cake creations. Happy New Year!

Bryan Crew said...

How did you make the scoreboard? Landen reminds me of Greg.

Siope L Kinikini said...

You have some serious cake skills. Very impressive. I'll be placing my order when it gets closer to my b-day.

Can I just say that I love blogs? It was fun to read up on you guys and to catch up on all the time we don't see you. Man, a lot happens. Either way, I feel closer to you guys and I'm grateful.

Happy Birthday to Landen!

susan said...

I LOVE the cake too! It was so cute. It was really amazing! The nerd people were the best and Landons comment was so cute.

I had to respond because have you not heard of the fabulous double sided adhesive stuff that you stick the patches on with? Not very much money at the scout office. Sewing them on is hard because they are such sturdy little patches...

Anny Case said...

Cool cake. Cool kid. Cool mom! I'm getting back into the blogosphere after the holidays. Just got caught up on your recent posts. Like everyone else, I was especially touched by your Levi post.

P.S. Thanks to you, I can now join the Wii conversations that happen regularly. I'm proud to announced that I am officially "unbalanced." :)

Brown, Inc. said...

Wow! Great cake! What an awesome kid, too.

tam said...

You did an awesome job on the cake Viki! I love it! I might have to try that one for a birthday!

Cameron wanted to tell Landen happy birthday as well!

Kako said...

Okay, isn't he like 10 and 1/2 now, surely you have something else to blog already. Wasn't there something in your new years goal about blogging?