Sunday, February 8, 2009

Snow, Seth, and a Snitch!

Here are some really cute pictures of the kiddos sledding with Daddy at the local park here in I.F. They had a blast - and there was only one minor injury (bloody nose) at the end of the day.










February 5th was Seth Merrill's Birthday. He turned 8 years old. Seth requested a "SNITCH" (from the game Quidditch from Harry Potter in case you are not a fan) for his Birthday Cake. I sort of improvised and this is what we ended up with.

To keep up with my tradition - here are the 8 things I LOVE about Seth.


1. Seth is a very sensitive person. He always wears his emotions right on his sleeve (or very close to it).

2. He has the most infectious laugh ever - even if I am in a grumpy mood - as soon as I hear him laugh - I can't hardly hold back my own!

3. Seth has a serious mind. He will often ponder things that I haven't even thought of - and asks me some deep questions sometimes.

4. Seth is generally a peacemaker. (I had to include the word "generally" because there is the rare occasion in which he decides to completely taunt someone else for no apparent reason until he gets a rise from them).

5. Seth is a good listener. Whenever we sit him down to tell him something - or even if I am just telling a story - he pays 100% attention. He also pays attention to detail and holds the title of the best "I Spy-er" in our family.

6. Seth has a testimony and he is super excited to get baptized. Because of the way the Stake baptisms worked out this month - he won't be getting baptized until the last day of this month (28th Feb.) and while we were in the Bishop's office, he told us about this change. I looked at Seth who had been really excited about getting baptized right after his birthday - and said, "It's ok buddy - that just means that you get an extra month to sin!" To which the Bishop quickly replied, "In this case I am advising you to NOT listen to your mother." Seth just grinned!

7. Seth loves to practice the piano and has exceeded our expectations and the teacher's as well - he is really getting good fast. It is fun to hear him play those "easy version" hymns.

8. Seth is very good at all of the sports he's tried. When he played T-ball, he was very serious about his game and he would stand on every base with his arms poised and ready to run. When he wrestled, he would sometimes be crying because of the pain that he was in, but still fight through it and tackle the other guy down.

Seth joined our family in 2001 at nearly 10 pounds. He is proud of the fact and often reminds me that he was my biggest baby. He also underwent open-heart surgery to correct a congenital heart defect when he was 3 months old. He wears his "zipper" scar proudly! When Greg blessed him as a baby - he actually blessed him that he would have an "open heart" (this made me laugh as it was right before the impending surgery) - but ultimately - I am witnessing that he truly does have an open, caring, and sweet heart. We are so blessed to have him in our lives. Happy birthday Seth.

11 comments:

Paula said...

I've been waiting for this blog and the eight reasons Seth is so important to our family. Grandpa and I love and appreciate you, too, Seth. By the way, the snitch cake is outstanding!

Christina said...

Oh what a great post! I love Seth! I love that when we were out geo caching he was so interested in the plants and things around him! You have wonderful kids!! Great job on that cake! I can't wait for my birthday! Can I send a request?! :)

Brown, Inc. said...

You've got some mad cake skills, girl!

Kako said...

How did you make the wings on the cake? How Cool! And the snow pictures are FABULOUS! Happy Birthday Seth. We think he's a great kid too. Can't wait to see you again, hopefully in a huge house with a slide!

Wanlass Family said...

Looks like your kids had a ton of fun, what a beautiful day! You are so talented at making cakes. Is it a self developed talent or have you taken classes? What a great gift for your kids!

Bryan Crew said...

Awesome snow jumps! I'm also curious about how you made the wings for the cake...

Jennie said...

Those are some great action shots! BTW I told Maelynn to keep an eye on my Seth at the lunch. I knew what was going to happen and I wanted eyewitness accounts.

Justin and Jill said...

I've been waiting to see what cake you would make for Seth. Great job! Can you make me an Edward cake for my birthday?

Happy Birthday Seth!

Siope L Kinikini said...

Ok, first off, that is some serious 'air' the kids are getting on that sled. Awesome!

Second, I remember Seth as a baby. We visited with you guys right before his surgery and I remember seeing his tiny body. Wow! Has that much time really passed by? Amazing. Happy Birthday (belated as it may be) to you.

Jennie Blaser said...

happy b-day seth! THat is an amazing cake. tell us about the wings. inquiring minds want to know.

Unknown said...

Since everyone is asking - the wings are actually white chocolate which I melted and put into my frosting bag and then I just dripped it onto waxed paper sort of haphazzardly and tried to make it the shape of a wing. Then I let it dry overnight and then very carefully peeled it off and stuck them in the sides of the round cake. Voila!