Saturday, February 21, 2009

It all comes out in the wash!




I am not sure where the saying originated. I am sure that it has more than one meaning behind it. However, for the purposes of this blog post...it is quite literal!

I am always amazed at the array of items that show up when I am moving laundry from the washer into the dryer, or sometimes, after the dryer has had it's say and I am removing things from the dryer into a basket. Most of the time I can just laugh and throw it away. Sometimes, I feel like I really need to save it for later and have a talk with my children about checking their pockets before disrobing and discarding clothing. (Only problem is, I never remember to do the later).

I (being lazy by nature) tend to throw all of the little "treasures" up on a shelf above the dryer and they pile up there. After I entered the world of blogging last year, I decided that someday I would have to do a post about all of the stuff that comes out in the wash. I have literally been saving things up to make a good story (and picture) and I have had it - I am "throwing in the towel" on this little project - so here goes..
Here is a picture of some of the things that have decided to go through the "spin cycle" and have managed to survive.
At first glance it looks almost like a page from one of those "I Spy" books, but honestly, there are a few minor miracles amongst that stuff. Like, for instance, how great is it that BOTH of Barbie's tiny little shoes survived and are still together as a pair? I mean, I can have entire socks swallowed up by that machine and go to NeverNeverLand, but these size 0.2 shoes made it???? Go figure!

Also of note, there are 2 writing utensils (yup - one pencil and one pen) that made it through with NO MARKINGS on any clothing to show for it! Must have been that little dollar store 'guardian angel pin' that someone got for Christmas that was in the cycle watching out for those clothes!

Mysteries solved:
* Mr. PotatoHead's long lost ear (he'll be happy to HEAR about it!)
* The other half of my blue dangly earrings that I crafted for
myself one day when feeling 'blue'
* The boys' special rocks (shall those good moods return?)

Mysteries remaining:
* Whose pocket-knife was that anyway and where did they get it?
* How come there is only ONE lone penny remaining in that pile with all of the
DOZENS of coins I have pulled from the laundry?
* Such a large screw in there and nothing has fallen down yet
in the house? (knock on wood)
* Did that little stencil really just jump in there to keep the
pencil company????

There is one last item that must be addressed here at this juncture - in FULL DISCLOSURE...
Several months ago - I went to change the laundry from the washer into the dryer, and when I started to pull clothes out - something FLEW OUT AT ME! I screamed and slammed the lid back down. When I was able to calm down, I further examined the situation to find that there was a MOTH in the clothes - it had just gone through the entire cycle - on "HEAVY SOIL" mind you (this was at the end of the summer). I couldn't believe my eyes. Then, when I went to get a jar to capture the disgusting insect in - I came back and found that there was another MOTH in there. It grossed me out something terrible - but not so much that I couldn't grab a camera to document the proof! The picture turned out really fuzzy - but it is real. And although they don't look it in the photo, they were ALIVE.


I wonder how dead I would look after going through those G-forces and breathing in that soapy water!!!

I am sure that there have been weird things that 'come out in the wash' for others, too. I would love to hear about them. Leave a comment with the strangest thing that has ever survived your "spin cycle"!

10 comments:

Christina said...

Hahaha! That is the funniest post ever!! I find a few of those things, especially the paper clip that is unwound for picking locks and thing, in my laundry. Currenty while I am typing I am picking pieces of washed up Kleenex out of my girls camp sweatshirt pocket, that is also a regular...darn runny nose! The moths though...GROSS! Better moths than slugs though I always say!

Kako said...

Love this post! I've ruined a lot of clothes because of crayons in the dryer. I love finding dollar bills! The other day I saw a spider on one of the clothes I was washing and put it in the wash to kill it. Now I am not sure that's the best method of assasination (although I did see spider legs later so it may have worked). I cannot believe your moths made it. That is stamina! You could use it in a sacrament talk. In fact I dare you to.

Sandi said...

I remember the time that we stayed at your house and melted crayons all over in your new dryer. Greg was so mad, I am surprised he has ever let us back in. Sorry again!

Jennie said...

I think I have found just about everything in the wash. The most expensive was my phone. In my defense, I had been thrown up on. Most recently, I found a thumb drive, and guess what, it still works! I have gotten better at checking pockets but obviously I still miss some things.

Pure Golding said...

After finding lipstick, chapstick and other such messies I thoroughly check pockets now. Although with 3 doing their own- my washer still sees some nasty things go through it. But for the most part its buttons, coins and rocks.

Marilyn said...

Thanks for the laugh. I can surely relate. Long ago I gave up trying to remember the myriad of things that go through the wash. (Although I do recall the HUGE mess the silly puddy made and how many items of clothes were ruined by it.) I don't believe a week has gone by in the past 25 years, that I haven't found money in the laundry. I've tried getting help with this never ending task by telling the kids that if they did the laundry, they could keep any money they found. There were no takers.

Liz said...

Viki, you're such a hoot! Loved the line about the stencil keeping the pencil company :))
Not sure I can top your list, though I do remember one of the girls carrying around a very water-worn school ID card for the rest of the year because it contained the only "good" photo they'd ever taken.
I've also had my share of crickets jump out of the washer. I figure they must cling inside the top ledge of the washer drum to avoid drowning. But imagine the stories those crickets and moths must tell - - "Whoa dude, you'll never believe stokin' the carnival ride I just took!"

Terri Porter said...

Well the most amazing thing to survive the laundry was our cat. However it didn't go through the wash, it did manage to live through about 20 minutes in the dryer, before I realized I hadn't put any shoes in the dryer. That poor cat was never the same after that.
I tend to lose more things in the wash than I gain. Maybe I will do a blog on how the wash has the ultimate disappearing act. Maybe if I put my bills in the wash they would disappear, huh?

Jennie Blaser said...

The worst was when we were camping with friends and had to go to a laundromat and so we combined three washer-loads of whites and lights into one of those mega dryers. When we got it out, someone before us had left a yellow highlighter in it -- three loads of whites RUINED! So sad.

Bryan Crew said...

I have to say that even though I'm not a cat lover, I'm a bit disturbed about the cat being in the dryer for 20 minutes (see post above). Ewwww.