Sunday, March 15, 2009

Down and DERBY!

I know I just stole that title - but I couldn't think of anything better to describe the Ward Pinewood Derby that we just had on Friday night. It was crazy.

Greg spent a TON of time preparing his "dream car"... it is one of those huge vans that seats 12. They use them to take people between Salt Lake and Idaho, and the business is called the "Salt Lake Express"... so Greg decided to name his derby car the "Bailey Express". (Honest to goodness, he truly aspires to own one of these cars someday!)

Seeing as the ward didn't have any 'rules' like in the real cub scout derby - people (aka the priesthood) went all out on their cars. There were a few decked out ones like an ice-cream sundae and a pizza car, and there were a few sleek designs. One guy even welded a pure metal block into a car that weighed over 5 pounds! I really wish I had taken my camera to the church.

Greg spent weeks creating his "Bailey Express" and it all payed off, as he won FIRST PLACE in the ward. He was literally having butterflies in his gut as he was going up to race his car each time. His secret???? (You'll have to ask him about that one...lets just say, many people there called him a 'cheat', although I say, "If you say NO RULES...that means NO RULES", right?




Landen also participated - he just grabbed his own pinewood derby car (The bright pink low-rider truck) that he used a few months ago for scouts, grabbed a 2 pound weight, and duck-taped it to the top of his car! Landen actually tied for 2nd place. We had a pretty good show for the Bailey clan, and Greg even won a giant bag of M&M's as the prize. Does it get any better than that?

Here is my personal breakdown of the event...

Pinewood Derby kit.............................free from bishopric
Model car to tear apart and use engine from....$9.99
Tools, glue, putty, sanders....................$5.00
Metallic Blue spray paint.......................$10.99
That manly testosterone high from winning......PRICELESS!



Good Job boys! I am proud of you. And I am glad you now have your own 'Bailey Express Van' to drool over, Greg!

9 comments:

cskelton said...

Too funny, WAY COOL!! Congrats to both Greg and Landon. One more big dream accomplished!

Justin and Jill said...

That is hilarious! I want to hear why they called Greg a "cheat!" I'm with you...you can't be accused of cheating if there are no rules.

Kako said...

Very cool! I want more details too!

Jennie Blaser said...

wait, a car motor? I guess you really meant no rules! Way to go Bailey clan. They'll be glad when you move out of the ward! :)

Pure Golding said...

Oh how I wish we could have a derby like that. Those darned Cub Scout ones are so dry! Congrats to you all. Next time take a camera! I would love to see all the ideas!

Christina said...

Oh seriously....FIRST PLACE!! Sheesh!! He's worked on that car for how long?! Hahah! I love that the driver is waving in the window, what a great paint job.

Paula said...

What fun!! I wish I could have been there. I know how excited Greg can get...it would have been great to watch. Congratulations to Landon, too! I wonder if this has implications for future undertakings with father and son?

Jennie said...

Caleb's original idea was for some kind of space car. But do to the limitations of Steve's carpentry skills, it became a car with half an Easter egg on top. But it was really fast. We were going to sell it on Ebay but Seth dropped it. :)

Siope L Kinikini said...

We are STILL ON FOR APRIL! We're not really telling anyone so we don't jinx it...hahaha. Anyway, we are so excited to see you guys and to hang out. I'll bring our pinewood derby car and we can race it with Greg's... ours is a pink monster. We didn't win but it was fun to do.