This past week was filled with some fun summer adventures for our family. First off - we went on a LOVELY trip to visit Craters of the Moon National park. It is just under 2 hours away - but it is a VASTLY different landscape than here.
We went with our cousins, Anny and Heidi, my aunt Mary Jane, and my other cousin's 4 children whom Anny was watching. We had a great time. Although the weather was chilly and rainy - the kids were troopers and we got to explore caves and old volcanoes...
(This was climbing up and out of a hole to exit one of the caves)
It was fascinating, entertaining, and educational.
Just a few days ago, the kids came running in saying that there was an injured baby bird on the driveway, under the car. My first thought was that maybe Greg had accidentally run over it - but when I went out to investigate the situation further, the baby robin had indeed fallen from the tree. It's apparent sibling lay dead in the grass, but this little guy managed to make it under the car. The kids grabbed him and we let them put him in an empty bird cage we had in the garage. They decided to go and dig up a worm and smash it with a rock and feed it to the baby.
At bedtime I told them to not get their hopes up or get attached to it, as it would likely not make it.
Fast forward to the next morning... it is still alive and kicking. Although I warned the kids to NOT name it - they did. He was lovingly called "Rooby-Do" for the next day as they continued to feed it and hold it and play with it. It got fond of the kids and would just sit on their shoulders or fingers and the kids even tried to give it "flying lessons" in the back yard. A few hours later I was outside when I noticed a larger Robin who was very insistent on staying near the cage...she would just fly right onto the bars and it was as if she were trying to communicate through chirps to the baby inside. I opened the cage, and out that baby flew - about 15 feet, the furthest it had ever gone. The mother stayed nearby and when the baby would fall, Greg would lift it back up and into the tree.
Finally it stayed on the branch - and the mother was so ecstatic to have the baby back - it just started kissing it and both of them were flapping their wings. It was actually one of the neatest things I have seen for a long time.
ATTENTION: UPDATED BIRDIE INFO.... the baby won't leave. It just sits on the tree branch for hours and won't follow it's mommy.
It actually flies back to Maelynn or Landen if they are near. I think we have officially adopted a baby bird. (Looks more like a sparrow than a Robin to me, but the kids are still calling it Rooby-Do!)
Come to think of it - this back yard is like a Nature park ... and we have seen some awesome things. Last week, out of the blue, we had a mother duck and 8 little ducklings waddling around and bedding down in the back yard.
It was great to watch.
We feel lucky for this time in this great house/yard and for all of the nature experiences that we are having here. Come and visit us anytime!

We went with our cousins, Anny and Heidi, my aunt Mary Jane, and my other cousin's 4 children whom Anny was watching. We had a great time. Although the weather was chilly and rainy - the kids were troopers and we got to explore caves and old volcanoes...
(This was climbing up and out of a hole to exit one of the caves)It was fascinating, entertaining, and educational.

Just a few days ago, the kids came running in saying that there was an injured baby bird on the driveway, under the car. My first thought was that maybe Greg had accidentally run over it - but when I went out to investigate the situation further, the baby robin had indeed fallen from the tree. It's apparent sibling lay dead in the grass, but this little guy managed to make it under the car. The kids grabbed him and we let them put him in an empty bird cage we had in the garage. They decided to go and dig up a worm and smash it with a rock and feed it to the baby.

At bedtime I told them to not get their hopes up or get attached to it, as it would likely not make it.
Fast forward to the next morning... it is still alive and kicking. Although I warned the kids to NOT name it - they did. He was lovingly called "Rooby-Do" for the next day as they continued to feed it and hold it and play with it. It got fond of the kids and would just sit on their shoulders or fingers and the kids even tried to give it "flying lessons" in the back yard. A few hours later I was outside when I noticed a larger Robin who was very insistent on staying near the cage...she would just fly right onto the bars and it was as if she were trying to communicate through chirps to the baby inside. I opened the cage, and out that baby flew - about 15 feet, the furthest it had ever gone. The mother stayed nearby and when the baby would fall, Greg would lift it back up and into the tree.

Finally it stayed on the branch - and the mother was so ecstatic to have the baby back - it just started kissing it and both of them were flapping their wings. It was actually one of the neatest things I have seen for a long time.
ATTENTION: UPDATED BIRDIE INFO.... the baby won't leave. It just sits on the tree branch for hours and won't follow it's mommy.
It actually flies back to Maelynn or Landen if they are near. I think we have officially adopted a baby bird. (Looks more like a sparrow than a Robin to me, but the kids are still calling it Rooby-Do!)Come to think of it - this back yard is like a Nature park ... and we have seen some awesome things. Last week, out of the blue, we had a mother duck and 8 little ducklings waddling around and bedding down in the back yard.

It was great to watch.

We feel lucky for this time in this great house/yard and for all of the nature experiences that we are having here. Come and visit us anytime!
11 comments:
Ahhh. Look at you guys being so animal friendly!! I am so glad that your little bird (I think it's a finch) is still alive, and friendly even! Craters of the Moon looked fun too!! That would be the greatest place to hide a geo cache stash!
It's so nice to read up on you guys. It sounds like you guys are continuing to have great adventures. That's really neat about little "Rooby-doo" (reminds me of Scooby Doo).
Thanks for setting the example by writing in your blog. I need to update our blog now...ugh.:p
Oh, how sweet! They all look so delicious.
SAD UPDATE... ROOBY-DO is dead. I know - we tried, but alas, no pet bird for us! =(
One day a duck landed in our pool in the backyard and visited for a while. Then it was off...
what happened! The bird died? How sad. Thanks for the call about Angie. I'll have to call her. When are you due? We are thinking about making a trip up at the end of the summer (end of July), but isn't that right when the baby is coming?
What fun going to Craters of the Moon. We talked about making the trip but never do. I haven't been there since I was a kid. Looks like you had a good time. You are always doing something!
You do have a beautiful back yard to nurture baby animals and young Baileys. Sounds like an adventurous beginning to a great summer!
The first picture is cool. Sadie is in mid-air...skipping or running?! I accidently clicked on it and the enlarged picture is cool.
Looks like you are having fun adventures in your backyard. Come adventure in ours sometime - we would love to have you. How are you feeling?
I'm sorry about the bird. And right now I'm wishing that Craters were called Batman, so you could have titled this post Batman and Robins. Wouldn't that have been creative. Can't wait for a post of Greg's surgery and I'm glad you passed your diabetes.
Post a Comment