Sunday, July 19, 2009

Girl's Camp 2009


I just concluded another successful Girl's Camp this last week. It was a week that was full of hard work, fun times, few pranks, and lots of spiritual growth for many people. I feel like all of the months of hard work paid off and that overall, it was a success. Our theme was the Road of Virtue. Each level was a different car, and we talked about the lord's path being one eternal round. We decorated with all things car/Nascar related. Here are a few photos of the week at Camp Cumorah.






Natalie Denkers was the Stake Director, and me and Glenette Hillyard were her 2 assistants. We had fabulous level leaders, and the youth leaders were very responsible and did a great job at everything. The Stake president came up on Thursday night and gave a great talk about virtue and then continued his tradition of having a kneeling prayer where he blessed every single girl by name. It was impressive.

Glenette always dresses up as something fun and memorable for the girls. In years past, she has been a pirate, a witch doctor, and the infamous "Bessie the cow".

This year we introduced a new character, "The Michelin Man".

It was a very hard costume to put together that involved a lot of personal sacrifice for her (i.e. sweating profusely in a tight sweatshirt costume while being stuffed with balloons and plastic bags and tied into rows!) See pic below.




O.K. I just realized that all of the pics that I was copying off of other people's Facebook pages are only showing up very small, but quite frankly, I am too lazy to adjust them. Sorry.

Anyhow - Greg brought Maelynn and his mother up to camp for the night that I was in charge of the fireside. My topic was on repentance, forgiveness, and grace. I thought it went well. I will try to post one of the videos that I used for it. This is a clip about that movie, "Amazing Grace". If you haven't seen it - I highly reccomend it! (Oops - it didn't upload. Sorry.)



I felt very emotional this year leaving Girl's camp - it felt like the end of an era. It was the 5th year in a row going to Camp for the same Stake. I got to know and LOVE a lot of the girls and leaders. As we are moving to a new stake, it will probably be the last time I am at Camp - so I was saddened at the thought as I have grown to LOVE that calling immensely.

Mostly I need to thank my sweet husband for putting up with me for 5 years of Camp Craziness, and especially to my Mother-in-law, Paula, for watching the kids for the past 5 years for all those days that I am gone. It is truly a treat to the children and they look forward to it more than anything! Thanks a million.

Oh.... before I sign off on this post, I need to tell people about Greg's latest endeavor - he started his own blog! That's right... it is all about our journey in building our new home. It is open to everyone and the address is .....

www.1356northfallriverroad.blogspot.com. Or you can simply click here.

3 comments:

tam said...

It looks like you had a GREAT time at camp! How fun! Now you can relax and get ready for that baby! (I guess if it is possible to relax while building a new home huh)

Anny Case said...

Viki, you are utterly and completely and thoroughly amazing. That's all I have to say. :)

Kako said...

How fun. I would like to know the clip from Amazing Grace. I watched the movie in the theaters but I don't remember it well. HOpe you are enjoying the last days of summer vacation.