Monday, September 21, 2009

States of Grace...and confusion about Diety??




I have just read a very interesting book that my M.I.L. told me about. It is called "The Shack". (You have probably heard of it or read it as it is on the 'bestsellers' at the book stores.)

I am still not quite sure how I feel about it. I think I liked it - but there were so many misconceptions presented to the reader about Deity, as I understand/believe it - that I found the moments of sacrilege almost too much at times. However, there were some commentaries that I thought I would share on my blog.... because they caused me to ponder deeply.

Basically, the story was about a man who suffered not only a bad childhood, but also a major tragedy in his adulthood. Then he was invited to go to the location of the bad incident in a letter left for him in his mailbox from someone called "Papa". This was the name that his wife used for God, and that is indeed who it ended up being. He arrived and subsequently spent a weekend with God (Papa) and Jesus and Sarayu (Holy Ghost).

It was very odd to me how the author tried to explain that they were all one person - but they were also three people. It actually made me think how grateful I am for the basic knowledge of the physical nature of God the Father and Christ the son and the Holy Ghost - you know, A of F numero UNO!

Anyhow - here are some of the quotes that I jotted down from the book (in italics) with my comments about them as well.

After a discussion about WHO determines what is actually good and what is evil, this is the conclusion that the main character, Mack had drawn about himself....

“I can see now”, confessed Mac, “that I spend most of my time and energy trying to acquire what I have determined to be good, whether it’s financial security or health or retirement or whatever. And I spend a huge amount of energy and worry fearing what I’ve determined to be evil” Mack sighed deeply.


I think that we all do that...I mean, we spend too much time and energy trying to get those things that we deem as "good", when it is possible, nay, likely, that Heavenly Father may have other "goods" in store for us that come as a result of suffering or trials of faith.


When discussing with "Papa" why his wife, Nan, seemed to have a closer relationship with God than he had ever had, God responded to him...

“That’s because like most men you find what you think of as fulfillment in your achievements, and Nan, like most women, find it in relationships. It’s more naturally her language.”




My cousin and I often have a discussion about how certain people are more
"task-oriented" people, while others are more "people-oriented" people. I
truly believe this concept - but I thought that it was just a matter of personalities - and after reading this book and thinking about it even more - I think I am agreeing with that previous passage and that maybe it is more of a gender-oriented thing. (Although I am sure that there are plenty females out there who are more interested in achievements than in relationships, I just don't know them!)

“Mack, just because I work incredible good out of unspeakable tragedies doesn’t mean I orchestrate the tragedies. Don’t ever assume that my using something means that I caused it or that I need it to accomplish my purposes. That will only lead you to false notions about me. Grace doesn’t depend on suffering to exist, but where there is suffering you will find grace in many facets and colors.”

This was another interesting topic to me. Greg and I often have discussions about this, that is, whether God or men 'cause' things to happen or 'prevent' them from happening, and to what purpose.

“All evil flows from independence, and independence is your choice. If I were to simply revoke all the choices of independence, the world as you know it
would cease to exist and love would have no meaning. This world is not a
playground where I keep all my children free from evil. Evil is the chaos of
this age that you brought to me, but it will not have the final say. Now it touches everyone that I love, those who follow me and those who don’t. If I take away the consequences of people’s choices, I destroy the possibility of love. Love that is forced is no love at all.”



I also thought that the following quote about love was a very interesting take on how we love people differently. When I was a little kid, I thought that I loved ice-cream as much as my siblings. Then, in Jr High and High School, I started to love my friends so much that it felt like they were my family. Then as I got even older, I felt what I thought was a true love for someone of the opposite sex, which later turned out to be nothing more than mere infatuation/delusion. Then, as I matured even MORE spiritually - I found (was led to) the true love of my life (Greg)- and that is the one type of Love that I place just below my love for God and Jesus, and above all other people I love in this life. This is how 'Papa' in the book described how we love people differently...

“Each relationship between two persons is absolutely unique. That is why you cannot love two people the same. It simply is not possible. You love each person differently because of who they are and the uniqueness that they draw out of
you. And the more you know another, the richer the colors of that relationship.”

I am not a big cryer or even very outwardly 'emotional' about things - but I do find quiet times and places to let my tears flow. Often those times are followed by a self-loathing for letting myself get emotional (and for the ensuing headache that unequivocally follows). So this next passage made me feel better about my week moments of 'letting loose'.

“Oh child”, spoke Papa tenderly. “Don’t ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the
best words the heart can speak.”

After the entire weekend spent with the Godhead, the main character begins to question whether he can return to his life and keep the feelings and spirit that he has grown to have while in Their presence. He begins to question again if any of it really even matters. Although I have never been through an ordeal like the main character went through, I have had dark times in my life where I have felt like nothing really does matter. Luckily those times are brief and always followed with clarity and light. Here is what 'Papa' said about it that I thought was very beautiful.

“Mack, if anything matters then everything matters. Because you are important, everything you do is important. Every time you forgive, the universe
changes; every time you reach out and touch a heart or a life, the world changes; with every kindness and service, seen or unseen, my purposes are accomplished and nothing will ever be the same again.”


Well - there it is. If you are interested in reading it - you can borrow it from me (if you live close) or I am sure you can find it at any library or bookstore nearby. If you have read it - I'd be interested to hear your comments about it - or even your thoughts on the quotes that I put on here.

At the very end of the book was a small poetry excerpt from Elizabeth Browning - I thought it was quite poignant. Also, following that, I have included a picture that I took of a rose that was in my front yard just the other day - complete with dewy goodness from Heaven. I thought it turned out wonderfully. (Yup - I am bragging about the picture I took, since I can hardly ever take good ones!)

Earth’s crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God,
But only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and
pluck blackberries.

-Elizabeth Barrett Browning




4 comments:

Kako said...

I want to read that book. Thanks for the recommendation. Great quotes, and great picture! Also, thanks for spelling it out who the true love of your life is. I'm sure it could have been confusing. ;o>. Love ya!

Marilyn said...

Those are really good quotes. I especially liked the one about how you love everyone different and the one about crying. Are you sure you weren't describing me when you wrote about how you feel when you give in to tears? Thanks for sharing.

Susan said...

You should start writing for the Ensign! That was good!

Jennie Blaser said...

I love the picture of the rose! It's great. Some good quotes as well.