Thursday, January 28, 2010

HELLO and GOODBYE JANUARY!

I can't even believe that Miles is already 5 months old. Where has the time gone? I know everyone says this with their own children...as I have with the rest of them, but good gravy..paleese tell me that the rest of his first year will not disappear so quickly.

We affectionately call Miles our "rock star baby". You can see why:



He LOVES to suck on his middle and ring fingers together and therefore seems to be giving you the "rock on" hand sign all the time!

Nearly every day I find myself putting him to bed at day's end and kicking myself for letting yet another day disappear without me taking any pictures. Then I think to myself, "Will he hate me when he grows up and there are not many baby pictures of him, at least compared to the older kids?" Then I think to myself again, "This is MY baby and I will absorb every last memory of him into myself - each time those big brown eyes look up at my face while he is nursing, each time those tiny fingers curl around mine, each time he coos into my neck, each time I feel the warmth of his tiny body against mine, each time I am gifted with that huge smile and adorable laugh.... those are all MINE, and the selfish side of me wants to keep that to myself and treasure it up. No picture could ever do those things justice, anyhow. (How's that for justification of my no-picture-taking-lazyhood?)

Other happenings in my life lately:

*I am LOVING our ward and especially our calling that Greg and I have TOGETHER teaching Sadie's primary class. There are 6 other children besides her and they are so great. This will be a fun and memorable year for all of them as they get baptized one by one throughout the year. I like taking turns preparing the lesson with Greg - so it ends up being an "every other week calling" which I LOVE.

*We've had a few friends over for dinner or FHE lately and I am reminded how great a gift friends are in our lives. I am also very grateful for my house and when people ask me if there is anything that I would change about it after having lived in it for a while...my honest answer is "No". I am sooooooo happy with it and feel super blessed to live here.

*I have started in on the couponing craze. It has been quite frustrating and sometimes rewarding. I don't think that I will see it affect my grocery budget for a while - as the whole point is to slowly build up a "stockpile" of sale items at home so that you can then shop from your own pantry. Or something like that. My best deal yet in these past few weeks was actually just a regular sale that Albertson's was having on Quaker products - so I didn't use any coupons (although some people had some). My receipt was about 10 feet long and I ended up spending $53 after tax and saving over $164!! I did however get a great deal on diapers with couponing and I now have over 15 unopened bags in various sizes in Mile's closet. I hope it works out - if nothing else - it has provided a somewhat 'bonding' experience/project for me and Maelynn to work on together. She's been great to cut Sunday paper coupons and shop with me!

*The kids are doing really well in school. They have begun to do their chores better and are feeling more 'at home' and less 'on vacation' then we were a month ago! Although we are often tired in the mornings when we get them up at 6:30 for family scripture study and prayer, it has been nice to have a whole extra hour (what with having the school in our back yard and all) for the kids to practice piano and take more time digesting breakfast and sometimes even combing their hair!

*My aunt and uncle returned from Peru and moved back into their home. It was great to see them and visit with them about their mission and the house and I think that they had a wonderful time. The few times going over there have been sort of 'surreal' experiences - driving up and seeing lights on, standing outside your own front door and ringing the doorbell - it just felt weird. It was a neat experience that we had living in that ward and that house. I feel like my life came around 'full-cycle' when I brought home a baby to the very house that I was brought home to as a baby. Anyhow...I am glad that they are back and I hope that they don't regret letting us live there as they slowly find little evidences around the home of our 24 month habitation with 6 kids!!!

*Facebook and Texting have become my daily addictions...sorry Diet Coke, you may have moved down a notch on the list of my addictions - but don't worry, you'll always have a place in my heart/fridge!

Thanks, January twenty-ten, you've been a great month. Way to start out this year on a positive note in my notebook!



6 comments:

Paula said...

I, like you, can't believe how fast January has come and gone! I have to warn you that the older your children get the faster time seems to pass. Thanks for writing such fun, interesting blogs. I love sharing your lives even from afar.

Marilyn said...

GREAT post. I can SO relate to much of it. I remember having those exact thoughts about my kids when they were babies (especially the last two) and just cherishing those moments that I knew from experience would fly by all too soon. And I rememeber feeling that way when we moved into our newly constructed home too. Just so grateful and happy and blessed. I keep thinking about jumping on the couponing train, but can't seem to find the time or the desire to make it a priority. I remember you being brought to the Homer Ave home as a baby. That is so cool how life is one eternal round. Wonder who thought of that? :)

Bryan Crew said...

I think you hurt diet coke's feelings.

Jennie Blaser said...

Fun post. I'm excited to see your new home sometime. Guess what? My friend Wendy is probably moving to IF! I gave her your e-mail so you can help her in their move (i.e good schools, areas, etc.). His family is from Rexburg, so they know lots already. Now I have even more reasons to go to IF. Enjoy Miles.

Amanda said...

I love reading your posts. It's fun to hear others experiences and so much of what you wrote brought back memories for me. With Kiersten being our last (we are 99% sure), we are just trying to soak up every precious moment of having a little one around. Each day, she just gets cuter and cuter. I do miss having those special moments from when they are still so little and snuggly. Enjoy!

GrGrGr said...

So, did you ever wonder why we didn't have very many of your baby pictures? In our heart memories we know exactly what you expressed. The Homer house will always hold a special place in our hearts for the reasons you mentioned as well as many others. We built it as our "dream home" and in many ways it still is. Thanks to your family and to Joe and Jeanne for giving us
two years of added memories. We are thrilled with your new home and hope it will become to you what the Homer home has been for us.