Only thing is - it NEVER happens.
I can't even tell you how clear this is in my mind..the part about envisioning myself checking off each little thing on the list. I mean, seriously, how hard could it be, right?? Take for example, Friday's little 'list'...
*Scriptures/Prayer/Make lunches
*Take Lane to preschool (and pick up)
*Dishes/Kitchen floor
*Help Lane clean his bedroom
*Do laundry
*Organize Coupons
*Get diapers at Target
*Take 2 kids to birthday parties
*4 kids perform at Piano Festival
*Get Greg and Landen off on campout
*Re-arrange rooms to give Greg his "Man Cave"
WHAAAAT????? That last one have you going? Let me explain a little history here...
When we lived in our last ward (house-sitting for Joe and Jeanne) Greg was in the Young Men's with a guy named Ken Taylor. This was a very nice man (empty-nested grandfather, mind you) who was a good friend to Greg. He also had a room at his very nice house that was named his "Man Cave".
The young men used to hang out there for various activities..basically it was a large basement room that was only for adults, filled with games and snacks and a huge tv and a punching bag and exercise equipment, etc. etc.
Ever since then, when Greg starts to get overwhelmed with things at home (and by "things" I mean "messes" and "clutter"), he always talks about how he just needs a place of his own, where he can be UNDISTURBED and not have my stuff and the kids stuff around him. I honestly understand and can empathize with this feeling. Even our so-called "Craft Room" is supposed to be 'mine'..but is filled with all of the families books and the kids crafts and 4 guest beds, and the extra toddler bed, and is where the kids go to make
So...when we built this house, the intention was to have to little room across from our master bedroom be the nursery for Miles for a year or so and then when we finally would move him upstairs, it would be Greg's office, or his "Man Cave". Well....we all know how the next chapter in that book went, right? Yup...it was a little plot-thickening twist called EMERSON who unexpectedly entered the story. Which made Greg's dream of his own place delayed by several years.....or so he thought!!! (he he)
Life is indeed hectic with 7 children, and recently Greg has been having more frequent episodes of 'Aaahhh!!!Ineedmyownspacerightnow'-itis.' So, Me and Maelynn decided to surprise him with finally getting him his room while he was away on the campout on Friday evening. Maelynn has been such a great helper to me, and we were both excited to do this for him. How hard could it be, right? I mean, it was on my "TO DO" list, for cryin' out loud!
Well, turns out, that in order to have his own room, Miles would need to move upstairs. And because he is such a great sleeper (when uninterrupted) in his crib, he needs to have his own room...which means that Lane would have to move in with the bigger boys, which means that the boys would need to move into the craft room, which means that my crafts would need to move into the boys room, etc. etc. SEE WHERE THIS IS GOING????
NO??? Well...here's a visual for you...
| The entire contents of Lane's room which he emptied on his floor in preparation to move out..plus Mile's crib we moved in there for him to sleep in that night. |
| The upstairs "transition" room for holding everything while we re-arrange the kid's bedrooms! |
![]() |
| The former 'craft room' in transition to becoming the biggest 'boys bedroom' ever! |
![]() |
| As a side-bonus..we got rid of the bunk beds and went back to twin beds for the girls...here is Maelynn's bed! |
So, it did indeed turn out to be a huge Domino-effect which I am sure will carry on into this entire next week as we continue to re-arrange and organize and get rid of stuff. I will have to post some 'follow up pics' when we finish it all.
But, most importantly, the Man Cave was finished!!!
At precisely 2:15 am!
We were super excited to show it to Greg when he returned. Here are a few pics of how it turned out...
| The view when you open the door... |
| The view from the window side, looking in... |
![]() |
| inside his closet, all his files and books... |
| This vinyl lettering was left on the wall from Mile's nursery... when I was thinking of taking it down, Lane reminded me, "But Mom, Dad is a child of God too." So I left it up! |
| A part of the front room, which was re-arranged as well in the domino game! |
You know, those easy things like LAUNDRY????
![]() |
| Yup..that is all CLEAN, waiting to be folded and put away! |
| Emerson finally resting with the essential booger-sucker nearby!! |
Speaking of those little babies...Miles is finally improving in his 3 month journey of teething 4 molars and constant snottynose-ness after some much needed antibiotics. Emerson got some immunizations which made for a day of sadness, followed by a day of relative happiness, followed by his current state of likely-RSV-ness..which explains why I am at home BLOGGING right now instead of at Church in Primary where I am supposed to be!!
Happy Sunday everyone! Hugs.





4 comments:
Hey Viki, I found your blog. Good job on the man cave! And what an awesome looking room you have for your boys. I would love to see pictures when you get it finished. And when you figure out how to get everything done on your to-do-list, I'd love to hear the secret, cause I think we all have that same problem. -Aubrey Olson
I look at your pictures and the "domino effect" of your room changes and your sweet but ill little one, and it makes me tired. I hope Greg appreciated the surprise, because the room looks wonderful.
Greg is so lucky to have you arrange that! Steve's man cave has to be a tent. That's as much space as I can surrender. I wonder if he would move just to have a man cave. Hmmmm...
I'm tired! What a sweet thing you did for Greg. And that picture of Emerson just makes me want to pick him up and cuddle! Can't wait to see your follow-up pictures!
Post a Comment