Thursday, January 19, 2012

A little Q &A

Anyone who knows me, knows that I absolutely LOVE trivia. I love reading it to others, being asked trivia, etc.  I could watch 'Jeopardy' or 'Who want's to be a Millionaire' pretty much at any given moment and be in the right mood for it. I am not quite sure why I love trivia games so much, seeing as how I usually don't win, and lots of the time don't even know the answers. Nevertheless, I do love me some good Q&A...so I thought I would use that as a basis for this blog update. (Note: Some may have multiple choices)!

Q: What does a bathtub full of three boys, lots of soapy suds, and about 200 toys provide?

A:    A) savings of 35 minutes on separate baths
        B) savings of soap and water costs
        C) accidental slippage consisting of face + edge of hard plastic boat =

(Thank goodness we still had a vial of dermabond at home!)

Q: How can a mother handle having two teenagers of her own, when she still feels like a teenager sometimes?

A: There isn't one that I have found yet. It is harder than I thought when I see my children all growing up. Sometimes I think to myself about the things that I was doing when I was their ages. When I was 13 and 14, I lived in Buenos Aires.
(Me and my sister Jennie, when I was Maelynn's age)
 I had some amazing experiences there. I traveled and experienced much, I was independent. I would ride on buses and trains and take taxi's and do so many things with friends. I had crushes on boys and would spend countless hours talking to my girlfriends about it.   My teenagers are so awesome, but I look at them and think to myself, "Why are they not spending more time with friends? Why are they not out doing crazy things? Why don't they have crushes on anyone? Are they spending so much time at home just because they are the oldest kids and are helping me to manage the chaos?"
   I do encourage them to hang out with friends as much as possible. I try to provide one on one time for them with me or Greg. I also think that my childhood was different, because I was at the tail end of a large family vs. the front end. I am sure that my older siblings may have led similar lives to my oldest two. And, if my teenagers turn out as cool as my older siblings, then it's all good with me!!



Q: How many activities is TOO many activities for children?

A: Still trying to figure out this balance.

      My simple 'rule of thumb'  has always been, "Piano = mandatory + One other activity = optional". But, what that equates to each week is: 4 piano lessons, 2 jiujitsu classes, 1 dance class, 1 4H class, 1 music class. Add to that the regular church activities: 2 mutual meetings, 1 webelos cub scout meeting, 1 activity days, and the occasional primary activities, and BOOM, your week is packed.  I am not complaining so much as I am wondering. There was a time in our lives, just over two years ago, when I decided to pull the kids out of all 'activities' (not including church stuff). I even took a break from piano lessons. It was so wonderful. I loved the 'no pressure to be somewhere all of the time' feeling it brought.  Just the other day, I was reminiscing about that short break that we took. I said to the kids: "Wasn't that so wonderful?" The reply came back rather rapidly, "No! It was soooo boring!"
(Maelynn getting ready for her "Thriller" performance at school)

(Sadie ready for her dance at school)
   So, I guess that they enjoy the activities and the 'break' from the routine chaos of noise and diapers and messes and babies around here to go off and do their own thing. I guess I am the only one* even slightly dismayed at the increased stress of it all. (*Unless you count the budget!)


Q: Why would I volunteer to help head the HUGE FUNDRAISER for our school again after doing it for 3 years in a row and then taking 3 years off?

A: Because we do those sorts of things for our children, even though it is a TON of hours and work and sacrifice. Because the school needs help. Because even though we are not getting more playground equipment (* I wish!*) they need the sound panels in the gym and who else is going to get the money for it? School budgets are crazy right now, and I can't foresee there being any major legislative law changes that will suddenly allow Charter schools to get property taxes or bonds or levy's, so this is what must be done.  Because it truly does turn out to be a great night and we make lots of good memories in the process. (Also because I get to work with a bunch of wonderful ladies who are selfless and caring, and that makes it worth it!)


Q: What good does setting goals do?

A: I am not entirely sure of the whole answer here, but I just know that for me, it is in my blood. I have tried to pass this on to my children, and they have picked up on the importance a little. In my house, it wasn't New Year's Eve until you wrote down your 5 goals and handed them to dad. He would keep them all together and occasionaly bring them back out for us to remember throughout the year. Then we would all read them at the next New Year's Eve before writing down our new ones. The crazy thing is, I am certain that about 87% of my goals were probably just re-written for the next year! I really do fall short a lot, but I still keep on writing them.

     How did 2011 go for me? Well, I didn't lose the weight that I was hoping to (I know, crazy how you have to really WORK for that one!); I didn't go on a great vacation like I was hoping to 9Crazy how you have to have EXTRA money to make that happen).
        However, I DID finish reading the Book Of Mormon again (LOVE it everytime), and I DID memorize The Living Christ. That was something I really wanted to do, because I LOVE the messages in it, and it truly has made my testimony of the Savior stronger.

  Goals for 2012? I thought you'd never ask!! Here are just a few of them (I set 12 goals in all):

           * Memorize 12 new things (3 scriptures, 3 poems, 6 good quotes)
           * Read the Book of Mormon (in Portuguese) within 12 months
           * Attend the temple at least 12 times
           * Read at least 12 new books (good thing I have Book Club to push me along)
           * Lose at least 12 pounds
           * Blog at least 12 times

I know. I know.....it's got a cute little "theme" to it this year! ;) Go figure!


Q: Who are the two greatest members of our family with birthdays in January?

A: This little stinker, Emerson, who gets chubbier and cuter by the minute and is already ONE YEAR OLD!!

(Emerson enjoying his Giraffe cake)
(Giraffe cake pre-digging in!)

And this handsome young man who is officially a teenager and the best one I know...

(Landen is such a good kid. I truly could not ask for anything better.)

Q:  What are some favorite past-times in the Bailey household on a cold blustery wintery day?

A: Making home-made play dough and getting out a bazillion cookie cutters and just having fun. I have decided that we are never too old to play with play dough! The other day Seth spent some serious time molding his dough into all sorts of things. He made a lemon out of his yellow playdough. I wish I had a picture as you truly couldn't tell that it was dough, it looked so real. Everyone who saw it agreed. He also whipped out this little guy riding a camel.
(The funniest thing about it was that you could actually open up the camel's belly and it was filled with sticks of dynamite. Boys!!)

Q: What happens when Mommy tries to blog for about 20 minutes while kids are still awake??

A: See for yourself....

(Yep...that would be ALL of the drawers of clothing that were folded and put away the day before. ALL. OVER. THE. FLOOR. AGAIN.)
Q: What job is the hardest, most frustrating, tiring, exhausting, did I say frustrating, in the world?

A: MINE! And I still LOVE IT!!!



(THANKS FOR PLAYING! Sorry you are not a millionaire now!!)

5 comments:

Katrina said...

What a great post, Viki! Your family is amazing, and that is thanks to great parents like you and Greg! You make me want to post on my blog again, but I keep feeling like I have to catch up on everything that I missed, and then I never do it. I guess I just need to pick up where I left off! Keep up all the amazing stuff you do, Supermom!

Susan said...

Cute!!!! You are great!

Unknown said...

Wow, you have a great blog. I really like your thoughts. I am glad we get to work together so I can know you better. You are an inspiring mom.

Marilyn said...

LOVE IT! Great pictures and post. It made me miss those good old days of having all the kids at home. Love you guys!

Megan said...

I totally agree with you on the teenager stuff. The other day Emma asked me why I always talk about boys with her! It's because she never does and when I was 12, that's all I talked about! I thought I was being the "cool" mom but really she was just embarrassed - go figure :)

I can't believe you're doing the Valentine's Extravaganza again! I honestly wish I was there to help just so I could hang out with all you amazing women again! Good luck with everything. You're probably so busy with it now you won't even have time to read my comment until it's over! The blog you made for it looks great!